Discuss European male to U.S. female in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Background: I bought a Frankford Arsenal brass tumbler without looking. It has a two prong European plug. The product is 230v 50Hz 31w. I bought a converter at Ace but it does not work. The converter accepts the European plug in it's female side, but has a regular 110 plug on the U.S. male side. When I plug it in my house 110, no joy. I assume the tumbler needs two hots?

My shop has a receptacle that looks like a 110 but it has a ground on top, a horizontal slot on the left, and lazy "T" slot on the right. I get 240v when I put my volt meter in both slots so I assume it has two hots.

I also bought a 20 amp 250v plug. It fits in my receptacle but the prong that would go in the lazy "T" is not a "T". It's just vertical.

Question: Can I cut the cord on the tumbler and put the new U.S. plug on it and use it in the receptacle? Thanks for any help.

When I saw the title of this thread I got all interested. I had hoped it was something smutty about our Prince Andrew and some of your lovely ladies. but now I see I was mistaken!
Sorry, I have no input for your electrical problem!

Do you have the facility to test the output of the converter?

Is the output two or three pin?

Can you add some pictures of the tumbler plug, the converter output and any rating plate on it?
[automerge]1594052308[/automerge]

Do you have the facility to test the output of the converter?

Is the output two or three pin?

Can you add some pictures of the tumbler plug, the converter output and any rating plate on it?
[automerge]1594052308[/automerge]

If I put the converter in the 110 and put my volt meter leads in it, I get 120. The output of both the tumbler and the converter is two pin (round and flat, respectively).

I will attempt to add three pictures. 1. The tumbler plug (230v 50Hz 31w); 2. my proposed receptacle (240); 3. my proposed new plug.

Attachments

• EU plug.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 16
  • receptical.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 18
  • new plug.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 19
That's a fair size gap between the socket part and its enclosure.

It used to be some other kind of receptacle until we bought a miniature kiln with that kind of plug, so an electrician put that in. So, can I cut the plug off and re-wire the U.S. plug for that receptacle? Anyone?

Ah I see, thanks.

We're mostly UK here, but Megawatt is on here often and I'm sure he will advise.

Background: I bought a Frankford Arsenal brass tumbler without looking. It has a two prong European plug. The product is 230v 50Hz 31w. I bought a converter at Ace but it does not work. The converter accepts the European plug in it's female side, but has a regular 110 plug on the U.S. male side. When I plug it in my house 110, no joy. I assume the tumbler needs two hots?

My shop has a receptacle that looks like a 110 but it has a ground on top, a horizontal slot on the left, and lazy "T" slot on the right. I get 240v when I put my volt meter in both slots so I assume it has two hots.

I also bought a 20 amp 250v plug. It fits in my receptacle but the prong that would go in the lazy "T" is not a "T". It's just vertical.

Question: Can I cut the cord on the tumbler and put the new U.S. plug on it and use it in the receptacle? Thanks for any help.
James Never assume anything when it comes to electrical. Did the converter come with paper work if I was you the first thing I would do if I was you I would change that receptacle, it’s not only ugly but clearly a code violation. I can’t advise you on the converter since you didn’t send no information about the converter. Do not cut the cord off the tumbler. In the U.K. they have 1 wire at 220 vac and the other wire is the neutral, in the US we need 2 separate wires from 2 different phases to get 240vac. I need to see the paper work first before I can advise any further, sorry

Did the converter come with paper work I can’t advise you on the converter since you didn’t send no information about the converter. I need to see the paper work first before I can advise any further, sorry

Attached are photos of the converter packaging and attached to the plug:

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_163816398.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200706_163905231.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200706_163848367[1].jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 8
Yes it appears to be the North America plug but please Change that receptacle to a 20 amp 240vac receptacle and the box

It is a North American adapter for a European plug. But the tumbler does not work when I plug it into a regular 110 receptacle. I own an RV Park and Campground with 20, 30 and 50 amp RV hook ups. All to code. So, if we forget the ugly receptacle for now, what can I do to make this tumbler work? Thanks.

It is a North American adapter for a European plug. But the tumbler does not work when I plug it into a regular 110 receptacle. I own an RV Park and Campground with 20, 30 and 50 amp RV hook ups. All to code. So, if we forget the ugly receptacle for now, what can I do to make this tumbler work? Thanks.
It just to has to be 240vac and if that box and receptacle is 240vac change the receptacle to a 240vac receptacle that matches the plug

It just to has to be 240vac and if that box and receptacle is 240vac change the receptacle to a 240vac receptacle that matches the plug

The plug is European and I can't find a receptacle for it locally (I have not checked online). I can find receptacles that look like a regular 110 receptacle (like the adapter above) but did not know those could be wired for 240. It's a long haul to town but I'm going in tomorrow so I'll find an electric supply store and talk to them. Thanks.

The plug is European and I can't find a receptacle for it locally (I have not checked online). I can find receptacles that look like a regular 110 receptacle (like the adapter above) but did not know those could be wired for 240. It's a long haul to town but I'm going in tomorrow so I'll find an electric supply store and talk to them. Thanks.
James did you find what you needed?

James did you find what you needed?

Hi Megawatt: No, I did not. I went to ABC in Pueblo (150 mile round trip) and they sent me to Blazer. No one could figure it out. I came home boxed it up and shipped it back for a full refund (Amazon). I then ordered a Lyman product with a regular 110 cord.

While maybe I should have noticed something funny about the "230v" in the add, I don't think I was too unreasonable expecting U.S. product. I thought with a name like "Frankford" maybe they were from Germany and, with Globalization, and Amazon and whatnot, maybe I'm just an old man expecting the world to revolve around the U.S. But then I found they are out of Missouri. What the . . .?

Anyway, I'm running a week or more behind but I decided to take up reloading as a "slow down" hobby, so there you go . . . LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the input. All the best.

Hi Megawatt: No, I did not. I went to ABC in Pueblo (150 mile round trip) and they sent me to Blazer. No one could figure it out. I came home boxed it up and shipped it back for a full refund (Amazon). I then ordered a Lyman product with a regular 110 cord.

While maybe I should have noticed something funny about the "230v" in the add, I don't think I was too unreasonable expecting U.S. product. I thought with a name like "Frankford" maybe they were from Germany and, with Globalization, and Amazon and whatnot, maybe I'm just an old man expecting the world to revolve around the U.S. But then I found they are out of Missouri. What the . . .?

Anyway, I'm running a week or more behind but I decided to take up reloading as a "slow down" hobby, so there you go . . . LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the input. All the best.
James I’m so glad you learned from This experience and yes you really don’t know what you are buying online. At least you wasn’t hurt or caught your house on fire. I wish you all the best and if you EVER need assistance please come back to this fabulous forum. The people on this forum are very smart on electrical and always have your safety in mind. Good luck my friend and have a great weekend

Reply to European male to U.S. female in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net