Discuss EV again... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just sharing this personal experience.
I am in Spain. Daughter had to fly home early cos not double jabbed.
Wife, in Glasgow, says she will pick up daughter in Manchester (the only flight she could get).
It's a long way.
Glasgow to manchester airport...plain sailing...
Return journey? 3 hour hold up on M6 due to accident, then 2 hour hold up on M74 south of Beattock. Temperature is 30 degrees.
Result?
Swelter in the heat and worry about the battery!
Or, turn the aircon up and know you still have 350 miles left in the tank.
My vote goes to the latter scenario, and I will never change unless i am jailed.
I accept that some folks never venture more than 10 miles fron home, but my sister is 100 miles away and there are NO charging points en route.
So, it is horses for courses...just saying

Spot on….

as long as some people buy some full electric cars, then that’s an improvement, right?
Don’t force those that can’t use them to have to buy one.
Make it a choice…. Like wearing a face covering ?

ive got a big SUV that I need to pull a 6 berth caravan….
an electric vehicle won’t get far pulling that.

Just sharing this personal experience.
I am in Spain. Daughter had to fly home early cos not double jabbed.
Wife, in Glasgow, says she will pick up daughter in Manchester (the only flight she could get).
It's a long way.
Glasgow to manchester airport...plain sailing...
Return journey? 3 hour hold up on M6 due to accident, then 2 hour hold up on M74 south of Beattock. Temperature is 30 degrees.
Result?
Swelter in the heat and worry about the battery!
Or, turn the aircon up and know you still have 350 miles left in the tank.
My vote goes to the latter scenario, and I will never change unless i am jailed.
I accept that some folks never venture more than 10 miles fron home, but my sister is 100 miles away and there are NO charging points en route.
So, it is horses for courses...just saying
And that is where the EV is not flexible enough when you need to resolve an unplanned problem

I fully agree. Unless absolutely forced I will never buy an electric vechile. And even at that I'd consider buying a horse and cart as I can probably carry more and travel further. And hopefully you wouldn't need to insure a horse.

I dont think I would say never.. I have thought about an electric van as most of my jobs are within about 10 miles and have another petrol car that use for personal.

I think electric cars as a second car is a great idea.

I hope the whole electric car thing will be a phase like tapes were to cd's and cd's were to cloud. they are the best we have at the moment but they will always be far from ideal. Hydrogen maybe?

Personally I think if we hang on long enough , Hydrogen could well come to the forefront. Watched a you tube video the other day where a chap interviewed Lord Banford [JCB] and they already have a hydrogen engine [not fuel cell] which they are experimenting on 20 and 50 ton diggers

I got a video sent from my nephew in NZ, building site with electric mini digger…. Did 2 hours work, then had to be charged overnight.
Video also pointed out the charging was being done by a diesel generator.

Personally I think if we hang on long enough , Hydrogen could well come to the forefront. Watched a you tube video the other day where a chap interviewed Lord Banford [JCB] and they already have a hydrogen engine [not fuel cell] which they are experimenting on 20 and 50 ton diggers

JCB own Wrightbus who have been producing hydrogen powered buses for a while now.

Reply to EV again... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock