Discuss Ever been gobsmacked in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
small family hotel I do work for has been asked for a PIR by the insurance provider, so a quick look round while I was out changing a FCU, I counted the showers 6 in all, back down in the service kitchen I opened the cupboard where the board lives," wheres the other CU,s upstairs says I" no that is all there is say the man, so there is a small door at floor level where I ssumed the cut outs would be,One I kid you not one 80/100 cut out, OP board for heating and immersion and the rest for 6 showers, commercial kitchen, 6 bedrooms,.Lights and all the other gubbins, I never pulled a fuse in case a bit of coat hanger was being used as the fuse link, all the boards are pristine as if they had been fitted a week ago, any way just thought I'd share it with you all,SSE are out this week to assess a three phase upgrade,
Pict

Yep, does seem ott, but presumably it's been working ok? Any signs of thermal damage, overheating at the cut out etc? Chances are the main bullet is a genuine 80/100.

Will the customer really swallow the upfront and then recurring cost of an upgrade to 3 phase?

Why would you need to upgrade a supply which is working in its current condition?

Have you carried out a load study to find out the actual current consumption and load profile?

It must have been about 10 years ago we done a PIR in a 3 floor pub in Croydon, the incoming supply was a 100A supply/100A REC fuse, at the most.
We took a load reading on it and was about 125a during the afternoon and the fuse was very warm.

As the hotel is due for conversion into separate self catering later this year a 3 phase supply will be needed, but are you guys really saying that as is it it would receive a satisfactory report, the showers alone take it beyond demand and diversity calcs as no diversity is applied to instant water heating, I rest my case.

Why would it not recieve a satisfactory report, yes it seems alot on one 100A main fuse but if it working fine as it is and showing no signs of over heating and the fuse is not blowing then either way you look at it it is fine.

Fair comment, I disagree but point taken. look at it this way, if you were tasks with an install in say a 6 bedded care home with a shower in each, would you run them of one board,plus the office, the kitchen, the communal lounge area, lighting, fire detection and emer lights, all through a single cut out. and then think you would get it passed building control, Not up here you wouldn,t and you would be very unlikely ever get another invite to tender,jeez talk about taking the obverse view just for the hell of it,the view that its been ok up to now is a comment I expect from customers to which my response is "So your ok with trusting your luck"?

Fair comment, I disagree but point taken. look at it this way, if you were tasks with an install in say a 6 bedded care home with a shower in each, would you run them of one board,plus the office, the kitchen, the communal lounge area, lighting, fire detection and emer lights, all through a single cut out. and then think you would get it passed building control, Not up here you wouldn,t and you would be very unlikely ever get another invite to tender,jeez talk about taking the obverse view just for the hell of it,the view that its been ok up to now is a comment I expect from customers to which my response is "So your ok with trusting your luck"?

Pict, no need to get wound up, if your post was aimed at Baker then remember he is a trainee on this forum, and is only offering his thoughts.

I would definatly not do that there is no way if I was doing a job that I would put 6 showers plus every thing else on the same board I would definatly not do it all im saying is it is already installed and been commissioned so i woukd presume that it has tested out fine and it must of been passed off by building control or who ever or it would not be currently working. I know its not ideal but it is working and it is not blowing any thing so why create a problem over something that although not how it should really be done is already done and working woth no problems.

As gmes has said im only a trainee so I am not saying I am right im just giving my opinion and I am not saying you are wrong at all .

No offence intended and sorry I did not look at the posters profile, the last thing needed is me stomping all over the trainees input, sorry again chaps I will look a bit more carefully at repyls in future
Pict

No offence intended and sorry I did not look at the posters profile, the last thing needed is me stomping all over the trainees input, sorry again chaps I will look a bit more carefully at repyls in future
Pict

Dont worry about it I am think skinned if I am wrong that I would prefair to be told that I am, as said I was just offering my opinion like ever one else, so no need to apolagise its how I learn lol

Pict

Cheers for that mate, the only reason I jumped in was that we are trying to encourage trainees to interact on the forum, and some may shy away from replying to to threads if they get grief off the regulars.

As the hotel is due for conversion into separate self catering later this year a 3 phase supply will be needed, but are you guys really saying that as is it it would receive a satisfactory report, the showers alone take it beyond demand and diversity calcs as no diversity is applied to instant water heating, I rest my case.

OK Pict, now you are giving us the bigger picture and context to your original post. I think the initial responses assumed (I know, never do it!) that this was perhaps an EICR or.....??? and you were jumping too quickly to a supply upgrade because the existing install was not how any of us would do the install starting from scratch.:angel_smile:

Is there any sign of overheating or damage resulting from sustained overload?

Have you carried out a load study over a couple of weeks to establish the actual current demand?

Diversity can and should be applied in this situation, you need to go above and beyond the crappy guidelines in the OSG though

Is there any sign of overheating or damage resulting from sustained overload?

Have you carried out a load study over a couple of weeks to establish the actual current demand?

Diversity can and should be applied in this situation, you need to go above and beyond the crappy guidelines in the OSG though
the main issue will be access to the db downstairs if anything trips, it would be better to install a landlords meter and put another db in flats to power it all ( could probably reuse the existing cable if you wanted to.

hire a power analyser for a week of you want and keep it on supply, i wouldn't be surprised if it was under at the moment but there might be issues in the future ifif the converted flats all have induction hobs, electric showers etcs

Gobsmacked?
OK, unrelated to the original post. Mods/admin be kind.

So Matt, my workshop foreman, and I were tooling down the M25 on a wet Monday morning.
We were going to do some modification on a drive panel. Matt to do the work, me to watch, wait, and test.

About half way to the site I got a call.
"We're going to have to cancel."
"Ok. Why's that?"
"It's raining."
"It's what?"
"It's raining."

Eventually the penny dropped.
The kit was out in the customer's yard. Open to the elements.
IP43 rated.

I've been around a long time - since before the Dead Sea reported in sick.
You think you've heard it all. Then something like that comes along and smacks you round the gob like a wet kipper.....
Yep. I think that qualifies as gobsmacked.

Reply to Ever been gobsmacked in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net