Discuss fake britian in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As fake BS 7671 books are simple direct copies of the original book, it'll be the same!!...lol!!

I can't see anyone wasting their time typing in 80 errors, let alone 80,000 errors. As i said, all the fake books are simple copies of the original!!

80,000 errors in fake regs books.

how many are mirrored in the official?

This has to be scaremongering. Trying to stop people getting fake regs books.
As Eng has already mentioned in post 3, why would they copy the original book then re-type out pages just to put mistakes in? waste of time.

The fake regs books are not just copies, they are complete re-productions that to the untrained eye look just the same. When I first started hearing about them and the IET going spastic about them my thinking was just the same as Eng54's, that they just didn't want people buying copies as it would hurt their revenue stream. However, there are plenty of errors in them.

The fake books are scanned using text recognition software and then re-printed in an editable format. I highly doubt any person is introducing errors into the fake books, but the text recognition software clearly is. There were a number of errors on one of the current carrying capacity tables when they were showing the books by comparison. The proper number was 13.5 but the fake had 23.5 instead, and that was just on one page.

But why wouldn't you just do a direct copy and do away with the text scanning bit?

But why wouldn't you just do a direct copy and do away with the text scanning bit?

I'm no expert in printing but I'd have thought in order to get a high level of contrast between the text and the page then the text should be the only thing printed on to white, and not a copy which would be the text and everything around it.

It is why a scanned copy of a piece of paper with text on it will never be as good quality as the original document itself (to the trained eye that is).

As fake BS 7671 books are simple direct copies of the original book, it'll be the same!!...lol!!

I can't see anyone wasting their time typing in 80 errors, let alone 80,000 errors. As i said, all the fake books are simple copies of the original!!

They are not just direct copy's as one of the lads in my college class had bought a fake one without knowing from amazon I might add paid full price and it had the current carrying capacitys mixed up so on one of his exams he chose to use 16mm cable when he should of actually chose 10mm cable so he actually got marked down for it through no fault of his own as the calculations was spot on, there was also a few other things aswell but I cant remember them.

If you are always using the original as the source then I shouldn't see a problem... I have copied certain pages and they have looked like the original... to my eyes anyhow.
Anyhow, if they do use the text scanning software then I can imagine you would get errors.

They are not just direct copy's as one of the lads in my college class had bought a fake one without knowing from amazon I might add paid full price and it had the current carrying capacitys mixed up so on one of his exams he chose to use 16mm cable when he should of actually chose 10mm cable so he actually got marked down for it through no fault of his own as the calculations was spot on, there was also a few other things aswell but I cant remember them.

More fool him for not using the correct table, whether the pages are mixed up or not, all fake copies are directly copied from the original BS7671.... The counterfeiters would be total numskulls to spend any time altering text etc....

The whole idea is to pass off the fake as the original when all said and done!!

More fool him for not using the correct table, whether the pages are mixed up or not, all fake copies are directly copied from the original BS7671.... The counterfeiters would be total numskulls to spend any time altering text etc....

The whole idea is to pass off the fake as the original when all said and done!!

he used the correct table it just had the wrong number in it we compared it to the tutors book as well and it look fine except that one number was wrong! it was the right table and colum, just like D skelton says above the numbers was changed

I saw that too,and indeed there were quite a few errors,also the cover is a slightly lighter shade of green iirc on of the forum members bought one from Amazon a few months back,I remember a post about it.

Saw the programme last night and some of the errors where silly errors the conduit table in particular as the headers on the table listed 16, 20, 35 and 32mm conduit in the fake books I would have thought the IET would not have had this error in their books a simple proof read should pick up something like that

he used the correct table it just had the wrong number in it we compared it to the tutors book as well and it look fine except that one number was wrong! it was the right table and colum, just like D skelton says above the numbers was changed

Seen plenty of fake Reg books over the years, all have been direct copies of the original. Sounds to me like some of the counterfeiters are taking a step backwards if they are now using equipment that is introducing errors into their product, that's not going to be good for business...lol!!

These counterfeiters are producing of all sorts of fake regulatory books and not just for the British market, but for just about every country, especially those of Europe and Asia and of course the States....

If anyone’s used OCR will know how inaccurate it is. 80,000 errors doesn’t surprise me one little bit. Being of a technical nature word recognition and tables stand no chance.

If IET sold the book for a reasonable price like £20 then it would not be worth counterfeiting and this problem would disappear overnight. At least dick Turpin wore a mask....

I saw that too,and indeed there were quite a few errors,also the cover is a slightly lighter shade of green iirc on of the forum members bought one from Amazon a few months back,I remember a post about it.

The 'fakes' have a darker green coloured cover than the 'real' ones, as per the programme. Also, on the spine of the 'Regs' book, the print is down the 'mid line' in the 'real' version, but 'offset' in the 'fake' version.

UNG said
Saw the programme last night and some of the errors where silly errors the conduit table in particular as the headers on the table listed 16, 20, 35 and 32mm conduit in the fake books I would have thought the IET would not have had this error in their books a simple proof read should pick up something like that

The version of the OSG I have, has the 'true' conduit sizes, in the correct size order [Table E4, pg.136] So, presumably, I have a 'real' version of the OSG.:smile5: Also seems to give credence to production of the 'fake' versions, by something other than photocopying.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins

If anyone’s used OCR will know how inaccurate it is. 80,000 errors doesn’t surprise me one little bit. Being of a technical nature word recognition and tables stand no chance.
ocr is rubbish.

i use some midi to pdf converters from time to time but i need to carefully listen and edit them after to get it correct

Reply to fake britian in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net