Discuss Feed to a pond fountain... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, Got myself a job swapping some socket fronts for a friend, Just had a quick look today and all of the sockets are on a ring protected by a 32A mcb. But one of the sockets has a 2.5mm T&E feeding a pond fountain (It's only very small, So I can't see loading being an issue) outside in the back garden. I'd assume this doesn't comply with the regs, So what would I need to do to make it comply?

Thanks Again
James

Not sure on regs (I'm learning!) but I would split the ring and incorporate a s/FCU or 20A DP isolator switch near socket to isolate supply to the pond in future.

Also, is the board RCD protected?

as resu said it must be 30mA rcd protected and connect it through a fcu so it has a means of local isolation and protection. The twin and earth should not be in the pond. It can absorb moisture over time.

How is the cable run from the socket to the pond?
The circuit should be RCD protected especially the pond fountain. You could put in a RCD FCU to protect the outside pump, but if you can change the MCB for an RCBO at the board this would be a better option.

Thanks guys, It's on a split load RCD board, (With 30mA RCD) so I'm going to put it on an FCU. Going to take a proper look at the pond and external wiring etc as well In a couple of weeks, If it's anything like the rest of the job It could well be wired in wet string. All abit Heath Robinson.

the pump mabye a 12/24 volt one, so a tranny maybye somewhere nearby, the owners may still have the paperwork/details for the pump ?
ive often found that the connection between the pumps flex and the supply is housed in a half water/slug/soil ect filled ex- icecream container buried in the rockery
its worth checking though even though theres no tripping

Reply to Feed to a pond fountain... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock