Discuss Flourescent in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been asked to change alot of old twin 6ft flourescent fittings in some units, twin 70watts. The new ones will be led, just wondering what the equivalent would be to give off the same brightness. I've seen some 6ft led twins that say 70watts but won't that be to bright as they will be led.

You can buy LED tubes to go straight into the 6ft (70w) fittings.

Brightness is determined by the lumens. Not the wattage.

A decent wholesaler will supply you with an equivalent tube or fitting.

As said better to look at the lumens. Wattage will likely end up being less.

Hi Simon, unfortunately there is a bewildering amount of information to absorb to find that out. If you look into the tech. literature you will find that twin fluorescent give out circa 7000 lumens the only equivalent I have come across is KSR twin LED battens. They are really bright (7000 lumens). The way lumens are measured seems to bear no relation to the real life radiance received on the critical areas as the way lumens are measured by different manufacturers vary. Stated lumens may have no bearing on the lumens delivered to the desk say. Having said that, the human eye is very adaptable and incapable of assaying how much light there is except at very high levels. So if you put in the KSR ones the amount of fittings you will need will be less. As the fittings they put fluors. in block 60% of the light from the tube whereas LED radiate all around so to speak so perceived levels of lighting will be experienced as far brighter. So if you have 8 fluors to replace you may only need four LED. Also there are requirements for lumens delivered at desk height and need to be measured to comply. In short it is best to ask the manufacturer and tell them for what purpose and get in writing from them what is needed to comply with these requirements, sorry to take so long to say that.

Watch out .............. if you have a lot of florries on 1 circuit and change them to LED's, then you could have inrush tripping issues ...................

Lumens are the most important consideration

I'm with Vortigern, the KSR Navara X fittings are incredibly bright. Their 65W fitting more than surpasses the light output of a 2 x 70W fluorescent.

Just thinking times gone by, had a boss owned the contracting business, one guy dropped a 8ft pop pack, he laughed , I cracked a 30p back switch patteress , he went nuts. memories.!!

Watch out .............. if you have a lot of florries on 1 circuit and change them to LED's, then you could have inrush tripping issues ...................

Is there a rule of thumb in terms of max wattage on 1.5mm cable
Or how do you work out the inrush current? What if the inrush current surpasses the max current rating of the fixed wiring? Is this ok because it's only starting current?

Is there a rule of thumb in terms of max wattage on 1.5mm cable
Or how do you work out the inrush current? What if the inrush current surpasses the max current rating of the fixed wiring? Is this ok because it's only starting current?

Reply to Flourescent in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net