Discuss Footwear in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kelly09

Hi there,

I am hoping to enroll onto the C&G 2330 level 2 course in Sept and have managed to get some work experience but need some work wear. I am really confused about what footwear to buy could anyone recommend some please? Might sound like a silly question but can you wear steel toe-cap or do they have to be non metal safety boots/trainers? I have been told various things like steel toed is ok if you are working on a domestic job but not for larger jobs that involve higher voltage. Thanks

we were told to get boots or shoes that have a steel toe cap and thick sole. Ended up getting a pair of trainer style shoes that actually had a BS number about electric shock resistance (can't remember the details). Got them from an ordinary shoe shop for about £25 and they have been good and comfortable. Quite a few lads on the course got boots and wish they had got the trainer style. Afew weeks ago Aldi were selling almost exactly the same safety shoes but for £10 cheaper, might be worth a look but you'd probs have to be a bit lucky for them still to have them in. You will be wearing them exclusively indoors when you are at college and have to be carrying them about and probs storing them in a locker so i would definitely go for the shoe style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dickies all the way, boots, trousers, jackets, overalls etc etc.

They may cost more than other brands but I think they're worth every penny.

I have the Dewalt apprentice boots. Great and really comfortable.

Have you been taken on full time or part time just as experiance, if full time the employer should provide you with all necessary PPE.

And good luck with your course. :cool:

steel toe caps,also having trod on a nail myself you can get boots with a thin steel plate in the sole.if your working houses and offices etc trainer/boots best but if your in the muck and mud on new sites go for leather boots.

Hi,
I’m a little confused

Hello,

I'm a little confused :confused: between which of 2 different types of safety trainer, I should purchase as a electrical trainee:

1) Steel toe cap and midsole, with a moulded PU/TPU sole, and are described as anti-static.
OR
2) Non metallic toe cap and midsole plate, and have rubber soles.

Both cost about the same, are just as comfortable etc. Just want to make the right (safer) choice, not one based purely on colour.

I'm concerned that the anti static description of Option 1 suggests they may be conductive to prevent static build up, and they also contain conductive metal parts. Am I correct or just thinking too much into it?

Cheers :)

Just a cautionary tale. A M8 had his steels on riding to work on his M/Bike and had a minor accident except that whatever way he landed the toe cap in one boot folded up and clipped off the front of his foot.
Party trick afterwards where he wasn't known was for somebody to hold him and some of us nail his (foot) to the floor.
We got barred from a few places for that stunt.

Reply to Footwear in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock