Discuss Getting Part-P etc in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TR7V8

Hi

I am 53 and have been a Radio/TV/Electronics engineer for 35 years, I now have a single contract with a manufacturer but may loose this next Jan.

Over the last 30 years I have rewired 10 or so houses, changed consumer units, added outside lights, garden supplies, house extensions and even a temporary supply in a building plot all to regs and all passed inspected OK. I wish to qualify with Part-P but do not know how I can achieve this without working for someone.

I have a good knowledge of 16th and now learning the 17th edition as I have been advised to take C&G2382.

My problem is that any type of course I have looked at cannot assess my ability, I have to start from scratch or be working for someone else.

I dont realy have any need for much practical training although would be happy to be assessed, is there a simply answer to this.

Regards
Chris

Part P requires the EAL VRQ after that you can register with the NICEIC or similar within 12 months you have to pass the 2382 17th edition.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Part P requires the EAL VRQ after that you can register with the NICEIC or similar within 12 months you have to pass the 2382 17th edition.

Chris

Thanks Chris, anyone know a EAL centre in Sussex

Regards
Chris

Not to my knowledge but I am sure someone will help I used ableskills in Dartford. You will need a copy of the Building Regs and concentrate on chapters 1 5 and 10 plus know all the parts ie part a structure part b fire

Good luck

Chris

Elesca will take you with just 17th if you can demonstrate that you are competent enough to pass the assessment. Do you have much testing & inspecting experience because a 5 day EAL wouldnt show you those skills in any depth at all.

Elesca will take you with just 17th if you can demonstrate that you are competent enough to pass the assessment. Do you have much testing & inspecting experience because a 5 day EAL wouldnt show you those skills in any depth at all.

No test or inspection, someone else always used to test and inspect my work, so is this sliding me down the scale to a full on course ? or do I look for some way of gaining a bit of practical experience in this area.

The EAL VRQ contains inspection and testing but to be honest the actual exam you sit is all about the building regs. If you have a test meter Unite do a book that is very helpful on inspection and testing costs £7.00

Chris

from what i hear you look at a tester once, hardly any use to someone who has never tested before is it. 2392 would be much more appropriate.

from what i hear you look at a tester once, hardly any use to someone who has never tested before is it. 2392 would be much more appropriate.

Hi

Dont get me wrong but are you saying I need this qualification or recommending it, I take the view that experience is very important but as an electronics engineer I would have thought I would be able to pick up most parts quite easily, on the other hand I would expect a tutor to advise on any shortfalls during a course ?

With your experience you should not have to take it al all but the system wasnt well thought out (suprise suprise) its probably best to ring the various bodies and see if any will accept you as you are

Chris

I also was a radio/television engineer (at least we used to be called engineers a long time ago) although I did a few years apprentice electrician before that.I just swotted up on the 17th edition,practiced with an exam simulator and passed the C & G 2382 with almost 100%.To anyone with electronics test/fault finding experience electrical test procedeure is just unbelievably simple so I would say just read up on it and practice doing it.The NICEIC Inspection Testing and Certification guide is good and also tells you how to fill in all the forms.I'm just going to have the ELECSA on site assesment now as that is all that is reqiured.They did say if you have no other electrician's qualification the 2382 is required before an assesment can be done.The 2391 2392 are not a requirement.I found it very helpful to phone NICEIC and ELECSA and ask any questions I had.

And another very helpful source is the NICEIC and Megger DVDs on inspection and testing and safe isolation.

Last edited:
2382 is the only thing you absolutely need. Anything else to boost your knowledge/practical experience would only be a bonus so its upto you.

I also was a radio/television engineer (at least we used to be called engineers a long time ago) although I did a few years apprentice electrician before that.I just swotted up on the 17th edition,practiced with an exam simulator and passed the C & G 2382 with almost 100%.To anyone with electronics test/fault finding experience electrical test procedeure is just unbelievably simple so I would say just read up on it and practice doing it.The NICEIC Inspection Testing and Certification guide is good and also tells you how to fill in all the forms.I'm just going to have the ELECSA on site assesment now as that is all that is reqiured.They did say if you have no other electrician's qualification the 2382 is required before an assesment can be done.The 2391 2392 are not a requirement.I found it very helpful to phone NICEIC and ELECSA and ask any questions I had.

And another very helpful source is the NICEIC and Megger DVDs on inspection and testing and safe isolation.

Thanks for the information, I did not wish to be the one to say it but I did think my experience as an engineer would make things easier, you just confirmed it, just having trouble with the C&G numbers now:D

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Getting Part-P etc in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock