Discuss Give me strength in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Got called out to a job today, people have bought a range cooker c/w fitting, 14 kW, isolator switch with socket, 32a supply, fine. Fitters have come round, scratched their head, gone to the van for a bit and said no, can't fit that you need to get rid of the socket part of the switch, (er how?).

So the customers have rung me, I go round and say I disagree. Then I end up on the phone to the salesman trying to explain to him, he says I don't understand can I give your number to our sparkies? Yes fine.

Lad rings me and says what's the score? I say the score is fit the cooker and do yourself a favour and get an osg, total ampage less 10, x.3 plus 10 plus 5, bingo. He says er well I was just going by what i was told.

Meantime salesman rings back says we will fit on your say so, so I say fine but you need to buy your blokes an osg and btw the customers have paid me for the visit so you might want to reimburse, fine.

Just sat down and my phone goes, customer says manager says he isn't happy fitting that so can you come and fit a 45a dp switch on the wall, sideways! Really?! Yes I say but this is daft.

In the end they cancelled it and are back to square one. Unbelievable customer service imo and all because they can't be bothered to get an osg between them.

Rob this just highlights the level of inexperience and incompetence of the so called electricians being employed by these companies.

Had the same thing, they refused to fit as there wasnt a connection plate behind cooker, wired straight to isolator and its illegal to not have one, apparently

yep ill take that job, 5 mins later, £45 thank u very much

Had the same thing, they refused to fit as there wasnt a connection plate behind cooker, wired straight to isolator and its illegal to not have one, apparently

yep ill take that job, 5 mins later, £45 thank u very much

Ive had the exact same where it came out wall and had a jb on the end, explained till blue in the face that nowhere does it reference that it needs a connection plate fixed to wallow at all, in the osg or regs....done it got paid why argue the ----

had the same with a ground source heat pump. They came to commision but refused becuse it wasnt wired in 16mm.. i wired it in 10mm.. tried for an hour to explain that the total load for the pump was only 45 amps.. could they give an explanation, which was Bosch says it should be doh!! had to rewire in 16mm t&e but still on the same mcb which was a 40amp, and to this day has never tripped.. :)

I had this last year for a customer, bought an enormous AGA Induction jobby in time for Crimbo. AGA insisted it needed to be installed on a 10mm / 50A which meant installing a whole new cct for it. I did the maths and said it would be fine on the existing 6mm / 32A. Took me hours on the phone with AGA technical teaching them diversity and they eventually agreed that I was right and they were wrong. Saved the customer about £500!!

more likely not being qualified.

Yes, in the end they did admit that to customer, the salesman said to me our sparkies say this and you are saying that, I said are they sparkies or are they blokes going round fitting appliances (not that there's anything wrong with that) and he says Oh yeah they're sparkies. Yeah right. Give the rest of us a bad name.

I had this last year for a customer, bought an enormous AGA Induction jobby in time for Crimbo. AGA insisted it needed to be installed on a 10mm / 50A which meant installing a whole new cct for it. I did the maths and said it would be fine on the existing 6mm / 32A. Took me hours on the phone with AGA technical teaching them diversity and they eventually agreed that I was right and they were wrong. Saved the customer about £500!!

Exactly, I'm happy to take the money but what they were asking was going to make it look a joke and I didn't want my name to it added to that it would've been a waste of their money frankly.

Exactly, I'm happy to take the money but what they were asking was going to make it look a joke and I didn't want my name to it added to that it would've been a waste of their money frankly.
I think I ended up charging him about a ton for all the admin time (it really WAS a few hours) but it was a massive saving even still and he was delighted.

Yeah I agree, said to the customer the point is they've sold you something they can't deliver on. Had mates with similar jobs crop up because of them too including ''we can't connect this oven to that supply it's too big (the supply)", can't be good for their name can it.

On a different note to a similiar incident, i had a customer call me up in panic

they had just called out homeserve as one of the bathroom 12v downlighters i had installed for them about three years ago had failed

the 'electrician' then proceeded to scare the life out of my customer and make me look like a clown by telling him that because they wasnt fire rated down lighters or never had fire hoods they were totally illegal and were likely to catch fire due to the heat????

this was the top floor of a house on a loft conversion with a flat roof!, and he obviously doesnt even understand the concept of fire rated

where do they get these numpties from, it really infuriated me, i asked for his number as i was going to call him and give him both barrells down the phone but wouldnt give me his details

Used to work for a local authority and would get 2 to 3 calls a week to investigate reports of dangerous wiring to cooker reported by delivery drivers. In all the cases they were safe to connect and the delivery staff were too lazy to do it. But what was the most irritating was most of the tennants were OAP, and the companies had not refunded the connection charge!

Reply to Give me strength in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net