Discuss Gledhill Pulsacoil Eco in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. I have a flat with a Pulsacoil Eco that is now 4 years old. I have recently had a new tenant move in and for the week in between tenancies the letting agent turned off the system by the switches. I've read that the system shouldn't be turned off so wondering if this could have caused the fault. The problem is that the water is not being heated correctly. There has been some hot water but in small quantities and not in the mornings. I had my friend visit yesterday who is an electrician and we tested a number of things. It appeared that the switches that control the stats were the wrong way round. The off peak switch seemed to be controlling the top stat. We changed the wires over at the stats and assumed this would resolve the problem. However the tenant has said there was still no hot water this morning. The stats haven't tripped as have already tried to press the reset switch. My friend tested power to the off peak switch last night and there didn't appear to be any to it. Is this because the meter only provides power to it during the off peak hours of 12 to 7? Could it be that the timer in the pulsacoil has gone out of sync? If so, how do you change this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Could you provide some pictures of the switches you mention, wiring to them, any timers, your consumer units and metering please?

What tariff is the new tenant using - does it include off-peak electricity?

The thermostats include (or should include) two switches one for temperature regulation and the other for overheat. I have found some makes do age and become unreliable or defunct especially if the temperature is set close to 60C.

Also check the time showing on any time-switches for the system.

Is there a smart meter fitted which may provide the off-peak switching - my earlier question on tariff refers.

Could you provide some pictures of the switches you mention, wiring to them, any timers, your consumer units and metering please?

What tariff is the new tenant using - does it include off-peak electricity?

The thermostats include (or should include) two switches one for temperature regulation and the other for overheat. I have found some makes do age and become unreliable or defunct especially if the temperature is set close to 60C.

Also check the time showing on any time-switches for the system.

Is there a smart meter fitted which may provide the off-peak switching - my earlier question on tariff refers.
Had a job the other day, no hot water (Gledhill Pulsacoil 2000). After a long drawn out process and a fair bit of testing I couldnt find anything wrong. I then just mentioned to the customer about her metering. "Yeah, I had a smart meter fitted the other day"! Turns out meter had not been set up for economy 7! and was not switching over during 'off peak' hours. 1hr phone call ? to provider and all was sorted!

Reply to Gledhill Pulsacoil Eco in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net