Discuss Gone But Not Forgotten in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing an Eicr a little while ago and came accross this old beauty. it must have been there 60 + years.
@TonyMK11 will tell you exactly how old it was as I went to him for some of his vast Knowledge plus He was the the only one I knew that was older than it lol.

Sadly I couldn't save it and it was stripped of it's copper which was no doubt worth a lot of money. There is now a shiny new Merlin power board in it's place :(

@Dan Thanks for the help with the uploads.

20160301_134421.jpg

20160301_134429.jpg

20160301_134436.jpg

20160301_134529.jpg

I didn't install it mate, just handed a list of remedials over to the contractor ( a Mate ) who looks after that customers site so I didn't get any photos, should have done I suppose. I could have stripped the old unit and rebuilt it with the info that Tony kindly provided. He knew every inch on those things.

Pity, I need a nice Ellison setup for the museum. Anyone who comes across one of these, talk to me before ripping out the copper, I might be able to do you a deal on the whole thing.

In essence it's a very old power board, the main switch is to the right in the pictiure then then all the others are breakers to supply sub-mains, it as a lot of copper in it / busbar. It was Oil filled which you don't see many, I have a customer who still has a few old lathes with oil filled pots on the over loads.
But they put a switching ban on them a few years ago . Tony sent me loads of info on it but would have to find it out, But if Tony see's the thread I am sure he will offer up some info on it.

Last edited:
@LankyWill Here is a newer version it is clearer as to what it does, basically main switch which then feeds all those fuse carriers.
This particular one as 2 x 1000kva Transformers feeding it with one feeding each side of the ellison.

IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0654.JPG

Pity, I need a nice Ellison setup for the museum. Anyone who comes across one of these, talk to me before ripping out the copper, I might be able to do you a deal on the whole thing.

I know mate, I think tony would have liked to do the same, sadly I got no say in it and the customer could only see the ££££££ for the copper inside it.
If I come across anything like it again I will be sure to try and do a deal, I have just stripped a load of Mini form switch gear out of a factory, I will chuck a coupleof pics in here later and it is all for sale on the forum, I will also post a link shortly.

Doing an Eicr a little while ago and came accross this old beauty. it must have been there 60 + years.
@TonyMK11 will tell you exactly how old it was as I went to him for some of his vast Knowledge plus He was the the only one I knew that was older than it lol.

Sadly I couldn't save it and it was stripped of it's copper which was no doubt worth a lot of money. There is now a shiny new Merlin power board in it's place :(

@Dan Thanks for the help with the uploads.

View attachment 33018

View attachment 33019

View attachment 33020

View attachment 33021

I’m 25 years younger than the Ellison board!

OK they are DMO which according to the HSE will explode if you sneeze near them. I’ve switched the next version of Ellison OCB’s 100’s of times and I’m still in one piece.

Ellison25.jpg

Pity it was scrapped as I’d designed new MCCB plug in units for it. It wouldn’t have been cheap, but the down time and disruption would have been cut to a couple of hours.

Ellison as a company are weird. They denounce anything they’ve made in the past and won’t offer support other than total replacement. The withdrawable 1600A ACB’s Glenn and I looked at, Ellison now offer a withdrawable compact ACB that fits in the original withdrawable frame ? ? ? ?

Again the Ellison ACB’s in Glenn’s pictures I’ve switched 100’s of times, they are some of the best I’ve come across.

Reply to Gone But Not Forgotten in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net