Discuss Hdmi over cat5’s in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As per James' post, you've installed the wrong cable. Your only option if the cable can't be replaced is to terminate one of the cat 5's with RJ45 connectors and use an ethernet to HDMI converter at each end.

Cheers guys will get the ethernet to hdmi adapters but surely it works in the same way? At the end of the day you've only got 16 cores with 2 cat5s. The ethernet to hdmi must use the same cores to corrospond to the hdmi outlet?

Cheers guys will get the ethernet to hdmi adapters but surely it works in the same way? At the end of the day you've only got 16 cores with 2 cat5s. The ethernet to hdmi must use the same cores to corrospond to the hdmi outlet?

No, the HDMI cable carries an HDMI signal.
The HDMI to ethernet converter converts the HDMI signal to an ethernet data signal, which is transmitted over 2 pairs (4 wires) of the cat 5 cable and then converted back from the data signal to an HDMI signal.

No, the HDMI cable carries an HDMI signal.
The HDMI to ethernet converter converts the HDMI signal to an ethernet data signal, which is transmitted over 2 pairs (4 wires) of the cat 5 cable and then converted back from the data signal to an HDMI signal.

@simpson93
Have you found and HDMI to CAT5 converter that actually works properly and doesn't cost loads of money? I've found the cheap ones to work but with unusable errors causing blips and colour issues.

They cheap ones can be troublesome. The ones that convert the signal to data and then back again are the most reliable, the ones that just try to jam the HDMI signal down the cable are not so good. I usually install Cat6 cable where possible as this can also reduce problems.

They cheap ones can be troublesome. The ones that convert the signal to data and then back again are the most reliable, the ones that just try to jam the HDMI signal down the cable are not so good. I usually install Cat6 cable where possible as this can also reduce problems.

I put in Cat6 cable and the cheap ones were useless. What are these other ones you are talking of? Are they the ones that are £50+ a unit?

Probably, but then again you get what you pay for. We were using some from a CCTV supplier about £70 I think, all worked faultlessly. I don't think they list them now though.

Probably, but then again you get what you pay for. We were using some from a CCTV supplier about £70 I think, all worked faultlessly. I don't think they list them now though.

Yeah. In my setting I'm looking at needing 12, so paying £70 each to accomplish this is just not an option. I've resorted to looking to remove the Cat6 twin cables I have in the wall and replacing them with HDMI v2.0 cables, chopping one end off so I can insert them through the capping and then putting a new 19 pin head on. It's going to be a real faff.

What signals are being sent, just from different devices to tvs? or 1 device and multiple tvs?

I've a TV on the wall with two HDMI ports behind it, as well as RJ45s and Aerial. The HDMI ports just pair to two further ports at standard wall height. Ports will be used for either consoles, set-top boxes or cinema surround sound. It's just avoiding anything looking ugly....!

Sorry but yes, one device per port....

The HDMI to ethernet converter converts the HDMI signal to an ethernet data signal, which is transmitted over 2 pairs (4 wires) of the cat 5 cable and then converted back from the data signal to an HDMI signal
I rather doubt that, ethernet just doesn't have the bandwidth to carry HDMI - and 1Gbps ethernet uses all four pairs.
HDMI over Cat5e/6 extenders use passive components (cheap ones) or active electronics (better ones) to condition the signals to better match the cabling and minimise the distortion caused. If only one cable is used, then some signals have to share a pair, and AIUI this is why single cable extenders limit the video resolution/refresh rate. If two cables are used, then this limitation doesn't apply.

Probably not much use in the average domestic setting but HDBaseT is an accepted standard for sending digital video and audio, power and USB relatively long distances over Cat6 cable.

Companies such as CYP make transmitters and receivers.

Equipment such as projectors can have HDBaseT ports built in to simplify installation.

Reply to Hdmi over cat5’s in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock