Discuss Help choosing wire in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know, but Teletrix made a comment that has me confused. I can't find any evidence of Aluminum having a shorter lifespan or being inferior in any way.

I agree its a personal preference. Both do well when torqued correctly.
I will say this I’ve been doing electrical installations 30+ years and 4/0 aluminum is a b—— to bend in tight meter bases and is double the size of 2/0 copper which is allowed for single family dwellings and I’ve never had a corrosion problem with copper like I have seen on service calls that has aluminum wire. I work to hard to have to fight 4/0 aluminum in the middle of the night because the customer has lost a phase or the neutral which can cause a lot of damage when the neutral is open from corrosion. It’s legal but I don’t use it to build service installations

Reply to Help choosing wire in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I’m running wires to the basement for future basement finishing. I’d like to add two circuits of outlets (one on the finished side and one on the...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm trying to add an additional outlet to a circuit in my house. I tested the outlet with a tester, and it showed as correct. The existing...
Replies
Views
I thought that I posted this in the DIY part of the forum but I believe I did not. I am sorry about that. I put in a 10' x 20' metal shed about...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am new to wiring and could use some help getting this circuit wired in the kitchen . I am trying to get the source power to the GFCI and...
Replies
Views
Reaching out for some help/guidance and sanity check. Apologies in advance for the long post, but wanted to make sure it was clear. Thanks in...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock