Discuss Help - Eubiq wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lawrenso

Hi,

bought these powerstrips (http://www.eubiq.com/assets/pdf/installationmanual/SC.pdf) to be fitted in our kitchen that has nearly finished a refit. Showed our electrician and he was happy with them - so had wiring all done and re-run with cable (ring man twin and earth 2.5mm) coming out of holes in the tiles. Well, now he has tried fitting them and they won't go because the cable is not flexible enough.

These units have a plastic clip on plate that is screwed to the wall and then the powerstrip clips onto this. The rear entry at one end has a cable strain relief as per on a plug etc... and the instructions actually show using 3 core for wiring them up but he is adament that 2.5mm has to be used - even though the cable is a spur coming off a fused box on a ring main, coming down the wall behind the cabinets and down behind some tiles and coming out of the tiles for connecting to

I believe that, because of the fused spur, that a flexible cable such as a 1.5mm multi-core can be used instead of the 2.5mm twin and earth, however, he has said no (from his supervisor who hasn't stepped near or seen them) - who is right and who is wrong??

answers quickly please before we have to take cabinets down and smash some tiles off and put in ordinary sockets with all the work that entails

Cheers

Lawrenso

A quick look at the manual tells us the rating to be 40A so i'm unsure if 2.5mm is big enough. That said, if your man says 2.5mm is to be used, whats wrong with using a fused spur with a flex outlet and 2.5mm flex from that to your unit.

Hi YorkshireSparky,

our guy was basically putting in a fused spare, and had run 2.5mm T&E down to connect to the powerstrip - however this is not flexible enought to do the flush fitting rear connection, which we would like as having nice grey T&E showing running into the side fitting is not the most endearing of sights!!

Then, also, there is the power limitations - one of them will be running a kettle and a toaster from the same strip, the other will be doing a microwave, with the 3rd left for a small LCD and a radio (3 spares - 3 fused boxes etc....).

Can I just double check that you are saying a 2.5mm flex rather than 2.5 mm T&E?? My spark is saying that it has to be T&E as this is toughened!!! (even though I find it in some ways to be very week (fractures etc..). if you are on about flex, what and where can I get it.

Cheers

Lawrenso

Toughened? are you sure about this guy? Flex is what it says, flexible. It has thicker insulation that is less brittle, the cores are stranded to create the flexibility needed and won't break as easily as solid cores on twin and earth (flat grey).
As for the power limitations, to the best of my recollections, flex is rated higher than twin and earth anyway therefore 2.5mm flex will carry more power than 2.5mm twin and earth.
I would fit a fused spur on the end of the t & e you already have and use 2.5mm flex from the flexoutlet of the spur. Or at a push if you need the cable to be in the wall use flex with a protective capping.
All the materials will be available from a local wholesaler.

I reckon this may have been sorted by now :hammer::dunce2: but I would go for flex. Daz

Thought I'd resurrect the oldest thread on here! I was bored, sorry. Daz

Pleasure ;-)

Went to the last page and picked the last thread :) For no good reason :)

Reply to Help - Eubiq wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock