Discuss Hidden cables in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bode2008

I don't have much experience in this area so looking for some safety advice.

I need to drill right through a wall in order to feed an extension lead into the next room.

The area I need to drill through is quite tricky. It's behind a cooker, stud walls and tiled.

The gas pipe is visible and there's wiring for an electric cooker also. The boiler sits adjacent with a maze of piping also behind kitchen cupboards.

I've identified an area to drill through, but would just like to know if there's likely to be any hidden pipes or cables in the walls?

Does all wiring from sockets run upwards towards the ceiling in top floor apartments?

Does the hidden wiring run inside the metal stud brackets?

The Black and Decker cable checker doesn't seem reliable.

Thanks.

If it is a stud wall then don't take anything for granted. There are meant to be permitted cable routes but if your house is anything like mine then the sparks who wired it have simply thrown cables in everywhere and ignored best practice. As for where the wiring runs from sockets, they may have brought the cables through the floor but depends what the floor is made of. Take thefront off a socket and hopefully you will kinda be able to guage the direction (up or down) the cables are heading.

just a thought..................................................

why dont you get an electrician in.

well how the bloody hell sat here in leeds will i know what cables are in his wall.

if you have to ask time to get someone in to do it. besides i wouldnt drill a hole to shove an extension through. why not pay out and get some sockets put in.

i thought this was a electricians forum not a diy workshop.

I'm asking how wiring runs inside walls? I'm not asking you to guess what cables are there.

hey now play nicely or you will go to your rooms!!!!:p

bottom line is, if its in a vertical or horizontal line with an accessory (socket etc) you can expect a cable to be there

if it isnt in line - there SHOULDNT be a cable there, but there MAY be a cable there

apparantly some DIY'ers do their own electrical work.........;)

Hiya, I'd be careful what ever yo do, though there is a bit of banter on this thread there is some good points to take note, like what cirus sed

Take thefront off a socket and hopefully you will kinda be able to guage the direction (up or down) the cables are heading.

I'd drill from the cook side anyways. maybe move the drilling point to the left abit and drill at an angle,

what type of wall is it?

has that detector, detected any power around the areas you want to drill ?

Reply to Hidden cables in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock