Search the forum,

Discuss High Integrity/Clean Earth IT Migration in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

I have been asked by a customer to install 20 extra socket outlets in a commercial property to accommodate their IT system after a move from the city centre to a location on the outskirts.
The property already has networked cabling and a total of 16 socket outlets already but will need expanding.
The power is distributed from a Merlin Gerwin board supplying 2 ring circuits, an emergency light circuit, 2 light circuits and the supply for the comms cabinet.
None of the circuits are RCD or RCBO protected.
I normally only do Domestic, hence my reason for asking for your professional advice.
I did some research before seeing customer and the current setup so I would at least look as though I knew what I was talking about.
My intention was to ensure there was a clean earth or High integrity earth installed but found MK sockets with CPC into MK 2G outlets with only one Earth terminal. This conflicting with the recommended method (OSG p79) for separate terminals.
What do I do …Repace all with new Socket outlets?
My other concerns were.
1. Last inspection was 2006, recommended next inspection 2011, with no paperwork for either date.
2. The two 32A MCB’s supplying the ring circuits ….1 was a Multi 9 C60H ( type 2) the other Multi 9 C60HD type 4. (I would have expected them to be identical).
3. All lighting on Type 2’s but the comms on Type C.
I expect the ring was split to separate the networked computers from the water cooler, kettle ,fridge and for any personal equipment use in the unit and NOT to limit the leakage current on each circuit for the networked computers…..since there is no rcd protection.
My intention was to add 3 more radial circuits with high integ earthing arrangement but that died a death when sourced cost of RCBO’ for the consumer unit.
Are the Schneider RCBO’s compatible with the Merlin C/U’s. Could I use these instead.
Or would the simplest option be to change the CU, install RCBO’s on all circuits and try to limit leakage current on all circuits by including up to 4-5 radials with clean earths.
As I’m currently up to my eyeballs with commitments on other jobs and the uncertainty of what may and most probably will go wrong with an IT system migration any advice would be very much appreciated.

Just quick as I'm off out.

Mk do the sockets you are after I can't remember the number but it will come to me they usually have out board rockers.

Schneider rcbos are compatible with some Merlin gear, you can find a document on this on the Schneider site in the frequently asked questions.

Thanks Wozz.

Any info or advice much appreciated.
Had many views but not any advice or even any interest in my problem. Surely someone else has had a similar senario to deal with

Not to worry I'll call Napit Technical see what they recommend and let you guys know.

Why do you think you need RCD protection for computer sockets?

And Merlin Gerin have been bought and wholly taken over by Schneider now. All new Merlin stuff is Schneider branded.

Reply to High Integrity/Clean Earth IT Migration in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net