Discuss Hole saw recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
As title - any recs for Hole saw set? Looking at bosch progressor as like the idea of quick change and availability of different size saws.

Any other complete sets that are good?

Mainly second fixing and usually down lights

I use crappy semi disposable ones for downlights and decent ones for smaller sizes.
The Bosch progressor are a good set but pricey usually.

If doing a lot of metal drilling the thin wall cobalt mix cutters from armeg are good, but again, pricey.

As title - any recs for Hole saw set? Looking at bosch progressor as like the idea of quick change and availability of different size saws.

Any other complete sets that are good?

The Bosch are good, I was suckered in by the quick release, but I've managed to snap 2 pilot bits drilling into metal panels so have returned to the old titan cheapo ones which have been doing me proud for the last 5 years ... (dare I say it):oops:

I use the armeg sheet metal holesaws for 20/25/32mm. Shame they don’t do 22mm

Then Bosch quick release set up for the bigger sizes. A mix of multi construction and the bi metal.
Also conversion bits are good so you can use any old holesaw on the Bosch arbor,

I found that the Bosch Progressor saws would start to wobble a bit in the arbor after a while, making trunking cuts difficult as the pilot hole would enlarge and the saw then doesn't follow it's own track.
Swapped to Armeg about 5 years ago for trunking and panel holes. Dig out the Bosch or the even older Starrets for downlights.

Any of the above mentioned brands,will do standard work,but without doubt,the top cutters are Starrett.
I have used their gear for many years,and it is very dependable.

Using a cordless Hilti,and with cutting lube (Rocol or even WD40) i have done 30mm holes in 1" steel road plate.

The biggest killer,in record time,with the cheaper models,is peripheral speed. Get the speed right,and you can squeeze a lot of years,out of your cutters.

Just as an aside,a pal of mine,cleared a builders merchants,after demolition,and said he had a load of "spiky round drills..." (his first job is farming;) ) and when i visited,there were stacks of Bosch hole cutters,from 25mm to 150mm. I filled me pockets...obviously,and intended to use them on rough or throw-away tasks,as they were free.
They turned out to be good quality,but were probably very old stock,so cannot comment on the new stuff.

I stick with Starrett hole saws as used them since training days a long time ago and still have the ones given to me at the time.

The only thing is, is that if you are going to be drilling a lot in plaster is that eventually the plaster will blunt the cutting blades.

Starter set,

https://www.screwflix..com/p/starrett-electricians-holesaw-set-8-pieces/6852p

Drilling speed is key when using holes saws.

Most are designed to be used around 900RPM or slower dependent on what you're drilling. Most cheaper battery drills won't run this slow.

This is what kills them, better quality will stand more abuse. However cheap ones will do just fine if they're used properly.

Also as mentioned, they aren't really designed for cutting through plaster. This dulls the tips quite quickly on cheap ones.

for downlights, a full set of 6 with a common arbour is < £10. for serious work, Srarret or Dart.

Yeah those quadsaws are cool but a bit expensive.
Snooping around I came across these:

Triton Multi-Tool Socket Backbox Cutter

Hole saw recommendations 1561918634126 - EletriciansForums.net

Not doing enough 2'nd fix to buy one but I am tempted to try it out.

Reply to Hole saw recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock