• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Hole saw recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Matthew

Active EF Member
As title - any recs for Hole saw set? Looking at bosch progressor as like the idea of quick change and availability of different size saws.

Any other complete sets that are good?

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Mainly second fixing and usually down lights
I use crappy semi disposable ones for downlights and decent ones for smaller sizes.
The Bosch progressor are a good set but pricey usually.

If doing a lot of metal drilling the thin wall cobalt mix cutters from armeg are good, but again, pricey.

The_apprentice2.0

Regular EF Member
As title - any recs for Hole saw set? Looking at bosch progressor as like the idea of quick change and availability of different size saws.

Any other complete sets that are good?
The Bosch are good, I was suckered in by the quick release, but I've managed to snap 2 pilot bits drilling into metal panels so have returned to the old titan cheapo ones which have been doing me proud for the last 5 years ... (dare I say it):oops:

sam400

Regular EF Member
I use the armeg sheet metal holesaws for 20/25/32mm. Shame they don’t do 22mm

Then Bosch quick release set up for the bigger sizes. A mix of multi construction and the bi metal.
Also conversion bits are good so you can use any old holesaw on the Bosch arbor,

jeremy

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
I found that the Bosch Progressor saws would start to wobble a bit in the arbor after a while, making trunking cuts difficult as the pilot hole would enlarge and the saw then doesn't follow it's own track.
Swapped to Armeg about 5 years ago for trunking and panel holes. Dig out the Bosch or the even older Starrets for downlights.

PEG

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Any of the above mentioned brands,will do standard work,but without doubt,the top cutters are Starrett.
I have used their gear for many years,and it is very dependable.

Using a cordless Hilti,and with cutting lube (Rocol or even WD40) i have done 30mm holes in 1" steel road plate.

The biggest killer,in record time,with the cheaper models,is peripheral speed. Get the speed right,and you can squeeze a lot of years,out of your cutters.

Just as an aside,a pal of mine,cleared a builders merchants,after demolition,and said he had a load of "spiky round drills..." (his first job is farming;) ) and when i visited,there were stacks of Bosch hole cutters,from 25mm to 150mm. I filled me pockets...obviously,and intended to use them on rough or throw-away tasks,as they were free.
They turned out to be good quality,but were probably very old stock,so cannot comment on the new stuff.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
personally, i think the best ones are the round ones. :mad::mad::mad:.

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Drilling speed is key when using holes saws.

Most are designed to be used around 900RPM or slower dependent on what you're drilling. Most cheaper battery drills won't run this slow.

This is what kills them, better quality will stand more abuse. However cheap ones will do just fine if they're used properly.

Also as mentioned, they aren't really designed for cutting through plaster. This dulls the tips quite quickly on cheap ones.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.