Discuss Hot Tubs & 16th in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

U

Unregistered

Am installing a hot tub and the electrics have already been installed. 32Amp, RCD protected, run in 6mm SWA. Problem is this terminates in an isolator with a BS 4343 blue socket right next to where the tub is located. Having read the regulations on special locations this is permittable as long as the socket is 1.5m away from Zone A (inside the hot tub/swimming pool). This socket isn't and could be easily reached while customer is sitting in spa. Customer is insisting that it is safe and wants me to go ahead but I need to know who will be liable if something were to happen. Electrician has done everything by the book as it has been terminated properly and obviouslly was not advised of spa location before he certified. I am unhappy about installing it so close as all my other installations have been done so the isolator is more than arms reach away from the water no matter what the IP rating is. Who would be liable in the event of something going wrong, I, the seller of the hot tub, the electrician, or the customer? Would a signed disclaimer by the customer cover my derriere !!!

Have now been advised by several sparkys and trade consultants that I would be liable if it could be proven that I had knowledge of the regulations before installing hot tub. By getting the customer to sign a disclaimer, that would, in theory, prove that I had this knowledge and would be a very grey area if an accident were to happen. Just have got to try and convince customer now and get them to move the socket.

I normally put a rotary isolator on a nearby wall (or post if away from walls), but out of reach of the tub itself (about 1.5m plus). I then put a tail from the isolator to hard wire into the tub - no sockets anywhere.

Are you the supplier of the tub? If so, simply refuse to install the tub until the socket is removed. If the customer 'has a go' simply state that you "have reason to believe the wiring does not conform to BS7671 and Part P" - you don't need to explain yourself.

You could try calling the NIC or ELECSA tech help for advice if you want an independant view.

Reply to Hot Tubs & 16th in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock