Discuss How deep into the rabbit hole does it go? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So being very new to the industry I just wanted wanted a little guidience on testing a system...
So the system I will be testing uses 3 phase power, it also uses a single phase to power a variety devices, e.g. A pc, a temperature controller, power supplies. It has many circuit breakers, contractors, relays, coils etc.
I was wondering how deep into the rabbit hole I go in regards to testing.
Does the voltage need to be recorded going into every device/breaker. Does every coil need to be energised and recorded as to whether it is switching contacts?
Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

So being very new to the industry I just wanted wanted a little guidience on testing a system...
So the system I will be testing uses 3 phase power, it also uses a single phase to power a variety devices, e.g. A pc, a temperature controller, power supplies. It has many circuit breakers, contractors, relays, coils etc.
I was wondering how deep into the rabbit hole I go in regards to testing.
Does the voltage need to be recorded going into every device/breaker. Does every coil need to be energised and recorded as to whether it is switching contacts?
Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
When testing you are testing the fixed wiring Mate, if something isn't operating correctly, not your problem. down to the Maintenance team I would have thought, and as someone has mention appliances whether fixed or Portable come under ISITEE (PAT testing)

What is the purpose of your testing and what kind of report are you expected to give? If it is testing for compliance with wiring regulations i.e. EICR, your tests would stop at the input terminals. If it is testing for the electrical safety of the device, i.e. ISITEE, you may need guidance on how best to achieve realistic working conditions during the test. If you are testing the control system itself for functionality or safety, that is a whole different kettle of fish.

I am testing a piece of machinery with a control system.
So for examples I have emergency off buttons and need to test the function (that when pressed it drops out the coil energising the incoming supply to trip the contactor)
I have a temperature controller that when it exceeds a certain temperature it trips the breaker via an under voltage release trip.
Can these be recorded in a test document simply by saying "Emergency Off Button functions have been tested and system drops out power when pressed " & "Undervoltage release circuit trips when system goes into over temp"
Would you deem that enough information for testing the functions of the circuits?
Sorry if I haven't explained very well, thanks.

What test document are you referring to Mate? if you are testing under ISITEE then a simple Pss or fail will ne recorded if it's a fail for safety reasons then it (the Machine) needs to be taken out of service, until it's been repaired.

The first place to look is the machine technical file and instructions.
There should be a section in there dealing with routine checks.

They may be further divided in to daily, weekly, annually etc.

The owner / person repsonsible for the machine may have specific requirements for records.
e.g. Each EM stop and other safety interlock test may need to be recorded individually.
The greater the implications of failure, the more likely thorough testing and recording will be required.

Imagine if you were testing a plane and just put, The engines started and the wheels went around.

As above, you will need more info on what testing is required and for what means.
As an apprentice you should be given more guidance on what is required and how to do it safely !

Especially where Live voltages are present ….. Has the system been isolated ? Permit issued for works/ testing etc etc

Reply to How deep into the rabbit hole does it go? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock