Discuss How do oil immersed starters work in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Went to a job this week where we replaced a slip ring motor. We went back as it was not running upto full speed which we found was due to the oil immersed starter unit that the rotary wires onto. Someone on site pushed what seemed to be some sort of a cog with in the starter unit and this got the motor going bit I am struggling to understand how the unit actually works and what is inside if it, whether there are any parts to maintenance. Can someone help with this. Thank you

TL;DR
Can anyone give me any information on how oil immersed starters work for slip ring motors
The starter contains resistances and contacts to switch them in and out of circuit. In a typical starter, rotating the control shaft moves a drum which closes the contacts in a series of steps to cut out the rotor resistance progressively as the motor runs up to speed. In some types there are also contacts that switch the stator circuit. The oil serves the dual function of protecting and insulating the contacts and cooling the resistances.

It sounds like the drum was not moving to its final position with all the resistance out of circuit, which as well as reducing motor performance can cause the starter to overheat. It sounds like it would be worth giving the unit a general check-over regarding the condition of the contacts and mechanics.

What size is the motor and what was wrong with it?
NB the title says 'heaters' which has probably been autocorrected from 'starters.'

Thanks for the in depth reply, yes it should say starter and not heater. I think it was a 250kw motor that went in to replace a motor that burnt out. Is there anything other than the small motor (guessing it is for a pump for the oil) and the bar and contacts ontop of the tank to maintain and inspect? There is also a square unit above the tank which had 3 single cables wired into to it from the main tank, woild it be some sort of resistor bar setup?

There are various different constructions and I wouldn't like to say what the correct maintenance scope would be or what the separate box is without seeing the unit in detail. This is also a bit bigger than the units I've actually worked on myself. If you had any pics I'd be interested to look.

Reply to How do oil immersed starters work in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock