Discuss How do you keep the dust down in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

steve

EF Member
Hi lads,

First time poster here so go easy lol.

I have been a spark since 1993 in domestic set ups mainly. 2 year ago my dad passed away with a dust related disease and since then I have really hated dust when chopping out for sockets etc or even worse spotlights in artex ceilings!!! (say no more about that nasty dust) . I have tried the Armeg which was even more dusty even with the hoover attachment and hated using it and seen the D.A.D.E which looks good but not tried yet and the best so far which I have kept in the van is the Dustbox from Amazon which is really good for chopping sockets and also brought the pricey spotlight driller which again takes all the dust away in my little Henry.

What do you guys use for dust control if you do at all? I never used anything till 2 years ago and infact I found the dustbox socket box much easier certainly on 45mm boxes for sure. The spotlight one is great I found.

The one I use is here https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FTY2CK8

And spotlight box https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FW81DQG

They sell a single socket one too and a dryline box version but not tried them, has anyone else?

The way its going with me and dust I think I may stick to EICRs!

Phil Thompson

Let us light up your life!
Electrician's Arms
I use the dade for Downlights and have a chaser and m class vac for tracking.
Multi tool plasterboard walls doesn’t make that much dust, never mind in the air.

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
Recently on a job where we had the use of a Hilti chaser and hoover.
Very good, much better than the one I used in 2005.
Most of the SDS drill manufacturers now do hoover attachments for their drills.
Other than that, you, you need a mask.

OP
S

steve

EF Member
Yes I have a Chaser and works well but rarely use it because the chases are few and far between on my jobs. Again I find the Dustbox set up really good for it and use the spotlight driller to stich drill the walls. Yes I have mask but the amount it needs to come on and off just gets irritating. I'm going to buy the Dryline dustbox today - although it dosent create alot of dust I think in years to come it will come to light how bad that gypsum dust really is. Anyone else?

L

LankyWill

DADE is very handy and I can’t see ever doing downlights without one now.

essex

Forum Mentor
Masks are PPE and therefore a last resort.

Dust suppression should be what we aim to do when dust is a significant risk.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Masks are PPE and therefore a last resort.

Dust suppression should be what we aim to do when dust is a significant risk.
just tell the apprentice to keep gobbing on his mobile when chasing. end of dust problem

johnduffell

Regular EF Member
I notice on the outdoor paving works they always have dsom kind of water feed to their diamond cutter and there's never any dust billowing around, that might only be better than vacuum attachments in some situations where the water wouldn't damage everything else in the process.

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
A very good mask (suunstrom or similar) worn and as much functioning suction around the chase being made as possible. The mask though, at the end of the day, will give you satisfyingly clear bogeys in the shower when you get home.
nothing is foolproof but you do what you can.

MDJ

The Muppet Police
Forum Mentor
Have a Vacuum on as you chop, and keep using it to limit the dust spreading, also use a good mask, keep windows open and if you use a grinder fit a vacuum to it as you use it, otherwise there isn't much else you can do

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
Hi - sorry to hear about your Dad.
I have got a DADE and use it all the time. I now also put a bead of wallpaper paste on the area to be cut. Go slow and there is zero dust in the air, IMHO. Wipe it off or wash it into a bucket.

IMG_1154.JPG
Caption "that hole looks so good, I think I'll cut another ..."

Last edited:
A

Adam W

For chasing I use a Metabo chaser with Trend M class vac, plus fitted face mask. When sweeping up I try to damp down the dust as best as possible.

If drilling ceilings is necessary I check the asbestos report, then if anything nasty is present I believe company policy is to suit up, fitted face mask, rubber gloves, dust sheets and H class vac, the the dust sheets are double bagged and put in the asbestos bin at the yard.

I believe some people apply shaving foam to the area to be drilled to catch any falloff.

JK-Electrical

Politically Incorrect
Electrician's Arms
For me, it's the Makita SG1250 wall chaser, Makita VC3011L dust extractor and Armeg AHC40-200 adjustable hole cutter.

nbwriter

EF Member
Hi guys....

Some good replies here! I just want to add my ten cents, because dust inhalation on messy jobs can put you hospital... So use your noggin and have a basic extraction system of some kind, or better still cut, sand and drill outdoors, so the dust is carried off quickly. (Even outdoors you should be wearing goggles + mask, of course).

... I used a simple Dimplex Air Purifier on one BIG (house restoration) job + goggles + mask + hat. (The hat can be any wooly type that traps dust before it lands in your hair. A hat also traps perspiration before it ends up in your eyes and goggles, too).

If you are working with sanders drills or saws, its basic Health & Safety to protect your eyes and lungs. There are various grades of mask around. Toolstation & Screwfix sell a (pretty affordable) range. If you're working with hazardous "particulates" (eg Asbesto), you really need to know the regs for safe removal of these materials, or just leave it to a pro. Stay safe and happy days...

Screwfix Dust Mask Range:
Dust Masks & Respirators | PPE | Screwfix.com - https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/dust-masks-respirators/cat850348

Regards NB :)

1Justin

Electrician's Arms
Spraying with water works well but you need an accomplice for it to be completely effective. It's no good just wetting the surface. I've used a pump-up garden sprayer with a long lance. Get your assistant to guide that constantly right into the blade cut and the dust miraculously nearly vanishes. (Everything gets muddy though instead!). It works well for concrete floors.
& don't skimp on full mask P3, - not the stupid paper things.

Electrician Talk