Discuss How to pay subcontractors? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to find a way which works for both subcontractors and the contractor with regards to payment.
Anyone have experience in a way which works for all involved?
Ideally I want the day worksheet and the certificate for the job sent in as soon as the job is completed. How do I encourage the regular return of paperwork and pay the subbies monthly without getting a massive influx at the end of the month?
Thanks

How do you pay them now and what is not working ? To establish the right solution we need to understand what the problem is. Its an unusual question because the longer money stays in your account the better that is for you in terms of liquidity and financing

Pays them monthly but wants the paperwork in well in advance by the sounds of. If they don't have the cash flow to pay the subbies on weekly payment then shouldn't be in business. Subbies shouldn't be used as credit.

I have never and would not work for a contractor that wouldn't pay me the maximum of a week in hand.

Plenty of subbies get knocked and its not worth the risk. Going on a lot these days.

Pay weekly and pay on time and you will get all the paperwork you need no doubt. If not the funds to be paying weekly then you won't last long

Tell me about it Anthony S, going through this at the moment myself.

Its rife out there with knockers and ponces who take on work and just sub sub and sub. Basically freeloading off the back of the manual working person.

As well as Companies and Contractors wanting Credit off small Subbies and one man bands they also use agencies because they get 60 day + credit and hope they get paid around 42 days so they can pay the agency on day 60.

The economics of the industry are built big debt and credit and I believe its ready to pop and we are in for a recession which believe is already underway in some areas.

Just changed ours to week end & materials required at stage paid in advance & delivered to site. Once on site client responsible for safe storage, if it wanders of its down to them. 3 or 4 chancers last couple of years using me & mine to finance their projects.
If they aren't happy with that now i walk away.

Paying weekly based on SORS is not working, we end up with a latge amount of missing certification which is hard to get completed due to the subbies already being paid. Trying to find a balance which works for both as we do not want to cause upset, but we do require the certs.

I would assume that you would pay a week in hand.
If that last week is not enough time to get the certs in, you might have to go for na retention.

Historically we have avoided taking retention even though we have retention deducted.

By the sounds of it on here people are against monthly pay, I could leave it as weekly. I am still left with the issue of certs. Unless I do pay on SORs and change to paying on receipt of the certs. But then its been mentioned we should not receive any certs until we have paid the subbies. But that is technically what we are doing now and it is not working. We end up sending other staff to redo work which is not time or cost effective.

In order to comply with BS7671, certificates must be issued.
So to my mind, the work is not complete until the certification has been issued.
Problem you have, is once the physical work is complete, the subbies are off to another job, so don’t want to waste time producing certification when they could be doing paid work somewhere else.
If you withhold a weeks money until the certification has been issued, the subbies will have an incentive to produce the certification.
If they don’t produce the certification, then you have that weeks money to pay someone else to do the certification.

In order to comply with BS7671, certificates must be issued.
So to my mind, the work is not complete until the certification has been issued.
Problem you have, is once the physical work is complete, the subbies are off to another job, so don’t want to waste time producing certification when they could be doing paid work somewhere else.
If you withhold a weeks money until the certification has been issued, the subbies will have an incentive to produce the certification.
If they don’t produce the certification, then you have that weeks money to pay someone else to do the certification.

You don't know the in and outs of whats going on but you recommend they hold someones money back. Mess about with a working persons money, good example to the trade your are. Remember that if you ever have an agency mess about with your wages because your only a working person. Some of the sites and lads I've worked with wouldn't take to you if they knew what your attitude was.

You don't know the in and outs of whats going on but you recommend they hold someones money back. Mess about with a working persons money, good example to the trade your are. Remember that if you ever have an agency mess about with your wages because your only a working person. Some of the sites and lads I've worked with wouldn't take to you if they knew what your attitude was.
It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had a falling out with co-workers.
To my mind, if you contract to do some work, then you do it plain and simple.

Reply to How to pay subcontractors? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock