Currently reading:
How to turn a downlighter to a pendant

Discuss How to turn a downlighter to a pendant in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave64

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, my kitchen is all downlighters, but I figured, I could go two pendants over the island.. how do I convert downlighter to pendant without re-plastering? Mnay thanks guys!

Google downlighter blanking plate, above the existing light should be a junction box for the cable, so that bit should be easy, the main problem is going to be supporting the new pendants from the blanking plate sufficiently to prevent them dropping onto the island, without a noggin in the ceiling spanning the joists to screw the blanking plate into you will be relying on the strength of the plasterboard to support the pendant, easy enough to angle a piece of wood into the hole to span the gap and spread the load a bit, but again it will be relying on the strength of the plasterboard to take the weight of the pendant.

When you pull the existing downlight from the ceiling take a picture of the wiring configuration for reference when you wire up the new pendant.

Hi all, my kitchen is all downlighters, but I figured, I could go two pendants over the island.. how do I convert downlighter to pendant without re-plastering? Mnay thanks guys!
A lot depends on what access you have to the area above the ceiling, if you don't have any way to access the area above the ceiling it can be done with a limited amount of filling / plastering and a bit of repainting

A lot depends on what access you have to the area above the ceiling, if you don't have any way to access the area above the ceiling it can be done with a limited amount of filling / plastering and a bit of repainting
Good point, I made the assumption that it was a normal house configuration, kitchen downstairs with habitable rooms above, but the OP did say they wanted to carry this out without plastering.

Reply to How to turn a downlighter to a pendant in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock