Discuss is it me? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bahco

just to paint the picture a bit, i work at a company with about 20 lads, there is one that there who was the bosses apprentise been there over ten years thinks he's top dog you know the type, anyway he has made it clear he does not like me but the feeling is mutual.

anyway there has been twice this week were he has has a go at me i think wongly, the first instance walked into a lounge there was one pendant in the room, the guy wanted 4 downlights fitting and the pendant getting rid of, so the guy i work with il call him ----er, ----er said right fit these 4 lights etc etc, so i got a 4way jb put all the cables out of the pendant in the jb took a flex from the jb to the first dl then to the next etc jobs a good un.

so he starts having a go saying cant belive you have done it that way blar blar storms off without saying which way i should have done it, i can maybe see his point for access to the jb but am i right or wrong?

2nd instance, fitting a switch on a wall with a surface box using the loop in out wiring way in the switch, crimped the nutrals then put the earths in a ring crimp then used one of the screws which holds the patress on to earth it, ----er comes in blar blar why have you done that then walks off, now i can see that if a phase conductor comes out of the switch it may touch the earth and create a dead short but i was taught that this is acceptable.....right or wrong?

rant over lol

just to paint the picture a bit, i work at a company with about 20 lads, there is one that there who was the bosses apprentise been there over ten years thinks he's top dog you know the type, anyway he has made it clear he does not like me but the feeling is mutual.

anyway there has been twice this week were he has has a go at me i think wongly, the first instance walked into a lounge there was one pendant in the room, the guy wanted 4 downlights fitting and the pendant getting rid of, so the guy i work with il call him ----er, ----er said right fit these 4 lights etc etc, so i got a 4way jb put all the cables out of the pendant in the jb took a flex from the jb to the first dl then to the next etc jobs a good un.

so he starts having a go saying cant belive you have done it that way blar blar storms off without saying which way i should have done it, i can maybe see his point for access to the jb but am i right or wrong?

2nd instance, fitting a switch on a wall with a surface box using the loop in out wiring way in the switch, crimped the nutrals then put the earths in a ring crimp then used one of the screws which holds the patress on to earth it, ----er comes in blar blar why have you done that then walks off, now i can see that if a phase conductor comes out of the switch it may touch the earth and create a dead short but i was taught that this is acceptable.....right or wrong?

rant over lol

yes, the phase comes out, touches the earth, this is called an earth fault, and CPD operates. Which is a new system some sparks use called EEBADS.

Of course, if you didnt earth the box, the phase comes out, touches the metalwork, becomes live, no circuit for the CPD, and it sits there quite happily until Mrs Smith gets fried whilst trying to find out why her lights arent working.

sounds like a slap is in order, or maybe sit the fellow down, lightly caress his shoulder like a good matey, and say "look, i have a few basic books that may help you, and they run evening classes down the local college"

and then slap him

yah...sounds like good slap may solve it. do you always crimp your neutrals/earth?

HI Shakey ,im not sure how much experiance you have,but firstly i would ask why should a wire come OUT this type of petty nit picking is whats wrong with the trade ,conections are paramount ,tell him politely to **** off and that you take pride in your work especcialy conections ,if he still wants to be a ---- go band ask your govenor for more responsability ,its your job ,make it your own old son.
atvbitwww
rumrunner

HI Shakey ,im not sure how much experiance you have,but firstly i would ask why should a wire come OUT this type of petty nit picking is whats wrong with the trade ,conections are paramount ,tell him politely to **** off and that you take pride in your work especcialy conections ,if he still wants to be a ---- go band ask your govenor for more responsability ,its your job ,make it your own old son.
atvbitwww
rumrunner

rumrunner my old pal, I can assure you i have been around the block more than a few times - and surely you can see i was trying to help the chap out by giving a worse case sceanrio

So what are you saying, you DONT earth things, because...... well its nit picking isnt it?

Rumrunner, I thought this was one of the friendlier sites

If you wanna throw darts to score points my friend than I can assure you mine are VERY big and VERY sharp:mad:

i dont think you read my post correctly i am not "throwing Darts "what i was saying is that the guy who "nit picked "about the job is a ---- ,please read my post again ,i am on this site because i am a very experianced electrician ,dedecated to the trade i love and wish to offer encouragement to younger inexperianced tradesmen,in a bid to have a bit of fun at the same time ,the regulations and buracracy ,make the job far more complicated than it nead be in my opinion ,i as a jib electrical foreman wouldnt even look at the work ,as far as i am concerned if a tradesman can do the job i just let him get on with it.and as for earthing ,again in my opinion thats of prime importance.
all the very best in the world
runner

Ok that's sorted!!

guess we are on this site for the same reason then

I spend a lot of my time helping lads to come up to speed, and its quite a while since someone questioned my experience!!!

all the best to you as well

regards

Shakey (gonna see him on Wednesday, me and my lad - CANT WAIT!!!)

is it me? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Gonna see who on Wednesday Shakey?

I did mean bahco ,shaky not you,and thanks grae for pointing that out ,its my fault i did say shakey.so sorry for that pall.
im so sorry ive sent you a pressie
if your not welsh give it to tonym58
all the very best in the whole wide world
rumrunner

Attachments

• is it me? a - EletriciansForums.net
    a.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 8
I did mean bahco ,shaky not you,and thanks grae for pointing that out ,its my fault i did say shakey.so sorry for that pall.
im so sorry ive sent you a pressie
if your not welsh give it to tonym58
all the very best in the whole wide world
rumrunner

Yes i am Welsh,,, how did you guess..... and who's this Tony fella;)

And no its NOT B@*&ddy Shakin Stevens!!!!!!!!

Its the man himself

Neil Young:D:D:D:D:D

and before you say "Who?" i have a VERY big hammer

I always tend to have someone like this in the jobs I go to, maybe they feel I am a threat, (because I am :) HEHE) anyways, ask him, "whats your problem? you obviously don't like me, so you might as well spurt it out" or you could ask him aload of technical questions which he prob wont know, to make his head shrink. just be sutel

Last edited:
Tony ,oh ithink hes "GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN" bit like Jonny Rotten if you get my drift.
:eek:

Keep rockin Rumrunner, its a free world after all:D

Dont know much about this other fella, sounds like a trouble maker to me:rolleyes:

good riddance, in my books

reminds me of Rolf Harris doin a painting, when it starts to materialise, and he goes (cant do the accent) "Have you guessed what it is yet?":)

cheers for the replys lads, looked a bit like hang bags at dawn at one point lol

anyway in regard to one question my boss allways tells us to use the loop in loop out of the box method, so i crimp the neutrals in a through crimp if its a metal back box i get a pin crimp crimp all the earths in that then fasten to the metal box.

Reply to is it me? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock