Discuss Is now a good time? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gt74

I've spoken to three of the various training providers, access training wales, electrical skills and new career skills.

The courses all seem to be right and in the same area price-wise but, and this is potentially a show stopper....if building groups like persimmon are stopping new building developments for the time being, does that mean there is going to be enough work for everyone?

If there are lots of experienced guys laid off from new developments, aren't they going to fill 'the shortage' that the training companies use as part of their sales pitch to justify doing the course.

Can somebody who is not trying to sell me something give me an idea of what is happening in the real world please?

In my opinion there is loads of work - cetainly domestic. With the housing market as turbulent as it is, more people are opting to stay where they are and extend - hence, more work for us. I haven't seen a slow-down in new house builders schedules either. Where we are they can't get enough houses built!

Thanks Cirrus.

BTW, my OP wasn't in any way a dig at the training companies. I thought they were all sound and there was no attempt at a hard sell, just a 'this is what we do, if you like it sign up'.

Just good to get an opinion from elesewhere.

hi,
i really am not trying to put you off ,but, in the real world as you put it ,theres to many sparkies,and not enough work ,if every spark was employed full time then all the work in the uk would be done in months ,on top of that the whole of the construction industry iis going to feel the pinch as the housing market slows down and productivity costs rise, the only thing not in decline is the oil price.

like i said im not trying to put you off ,there will always be work for va sparks ,but it might not be on your doorstep ,and the way it works is ,as tradesmen are prepared to travel further the price goes down .

i fear tough times ahead not just in the electrical industry but in general ,obviously the more bits of paper you have ,the better chance youve got ,

all the best and try not to get to disspondant,but this is not only my opinion

I dont see a downturn in the business myself

I have phone calls off agencies asking if i have trained any 'decent guys' recently, that i can send to them

think the house building business is ok as well

and its not about 'affordable housing'

I have never seen a new house built that sits there for a year empty, regardless of its size or price, therefore all housing is 'affordable' or people wouldnt be buying them

and if they are being built - or refurbished - or extended, then they need sparks, you just have to make sure that YOU are the sparks doing the work

Cheers fellas

I'm looking to combine a sparkies qualification with my IRATA rating so not too worried about lack of work as it's a bit of a niche that I'm going for.

It's getting that first 6 months experience which I guess will need to be on the domestic side that is concerning me.

GT

hi,
Thats a great idea ,i would contact some of the larger industrial companys and ask about getting your experiance with them

im sure someone is going to be quite interested
good luck

regarding the training providers you have looked at, can't comment on two of them, but with one of them, you will get the pleasure of having me as your tutor;)

make your choice wisely, my friend:)

Reply to Is now a good time? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock