Discuss Is there a roofers forum? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
For the 3rd time in 3 years since my extension was built, I’ve got water stains on my ceiling. Only happens when it’s really hard rain, and today it’s absolutely p**sing down.
Spoken to main contractor who did the job. Reply is always phone the roofer. Done that last time and he had resealed it a couple of times.
Water still comes through the same bit of ceiling.
Is there a roofers forum? C95F2B8C-9C47-42AC-B0CF-57C28D5F9BF2 - EletriciansForums.net

That’s the living room ceiling. It’s also coming in through the porch.

Kind of soul destroying when you spend a lot of money on something and it’s never right. I’m now hoping it doesn’t burst through and wreck the new sofa

Kind of soul destroying when you spend a lot of money on something and it’s never right. I’m now hoping it doesn’t burst through and wreck the new sofa

put a small hole in the ceiling where it's wet and let any collected water drain into a bucket if you suspect that there may be a puddle on top of the ceiling.

Can you get to above the ceiling?

Spoken to main contractor who did the job. Reply is always phone the roofer.
isn't it up to the main contractor to phone the roofer? also, you're probably due a major repair instead of a patch up at this stage. was the work guaranteed? if its not being fixed properly you're within your rights to get someone else to fix it and send them the bill. of course getting the money off them would be a whole other story

As others have asked is it a flat or a pitched roof? Do you know where it's getting in? That can be difficult to discern as water often runs about internally before coming through exactly where your new sofa is :)

Any pictures of the external structure?

If it only happens in very heavy rain maybe the gutters are overflowing and it's getting in under a soffit, or there's dodgy flashing on a flat roof - flat roofs always leak! Or if it's only when it's windy as well, maybe water is being blown up under flashing not properly dressed to tiles.

If there is flashing check it's proper Code 4 product, not the sticky-backed cr@p which always rips or falls off after a few years.

Initial thoughts. I hate roofing.

Last edited:
put a small hole in the ceiling where it's wet and let any collected water drain into a bucket if you suspect that there may be a puddle on top of the ceiling.

Thanks for that, Dave!
Just seems a curious, random piece of advice though :oops::D

Thanks for that, Dave!
Just seems a curious, random piece of advice though :oops::D

:) No it's not: that's an excellent piece of advice. If it's moisture-resistant foil-backed plasterboard there may be Lake Victoria up there, which needs draining off before the whole ceiling suddenly crashes down.

Are we looking at an old external cavity wall that's been knocked through to your extension? If so, I'd say good chance the leak is coming from higher up, main roof rather than extension, and is dripping down the cavity. May have been there for years but never showed up till you extended, as was dripping down to the bottom of the cavity.

Are we looking at an old external cavity wall that's been knocked through to your extension? If so, I'd say good chance the leak is coming from higher up, main roof rather than extension, and is dripping down the cavity. May have been there for years but never showed up till you extended, as was dripping down to the bottom of the cavity.

Builder would of been a bit naughty then, not putting cavity trays in.

The leak could be anywhere. I had something like this where the water ran along the rsj from the side wall until it hit something and dripped down

The leak could be anywhere. I had something like this where the water ran along the rsj from the side wall until it hit something and dripped down
Looking at the pic it looks like it is in the RSJ boxing.
You are correct though , it could be travelling from anywhere.

does appear it's coming down cavity from main roof. gutters blocked by moss etc.???? we get a lot of that. has to be cleared every 12 months.

We’ve got water entering our chimney and dripping on the stop plate. My mate who fitted the flue took a look a while back and is happy to look again.

As our extension is over 3 years old, I’ve rung a local roofer I know and will see what he says.

If it costs me a few quid to have the job fixed properly, I’m happy with that

Wow, I didn't know we had so many roofers on this forum.

A little bit of background before I take more photos.
The house is timber frame, approx. 11 years old. 3 years ago we had an extension built which doubled the size of that particular room and added a porch at the front door.
Sloped roof, correct angle and proper roof tiles.
There is an RSJ in there. A window was removed, the hole made bigger.
The 2 wet patches you can see on the boxing are either side of the bedroom window above.
The roofer says the lead flashing is close to the underside of the stone sill of the window and water is creeping over the lead and working its way in.
He says it only happens with driving rain? Yes... but its Scotland... the rain is always driving. That's no excuse.
This doesn't explain the water marks in the porch, which was the old front door, just the old framing taken out, wall boarded over and an interior door and frame put in. The old front door was moved to the new front wall.
There is a window above this leak as well, but its much higher than the lead flashing.
On another note. The bedroom window above is now suffering from excessive condensation, causing black mould on the white sealant around the UPVC window.
It really only started when the extension was built.
Could this be connected to a lack of ventilation in the new roofspace above the extension?

Reply to Is there a roofers forum? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock