Discuss Is there a roofers forum? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

there was a roofers forum but they all fell off the scaffold.

proper Scousers.

This is a photo from the porch.
I’m not going outside again to take a photo. Still raining

Is there a roofers forum? FDA22290-7EDF-41D8-81FC-9891AEEC0DEE - EletriciansForums.net

My wife now wants all the tiles off to check the woodwork isn’t rotten underneath.
I’ll have to look out the paperwork regarding a warranty, but would it already have 10 years the same as NHBC?

I would be loathe to do investigatory work of such a nature at this stage. The wood will in no way be rotten any timber in there will be C24 structural grade and treated it would take several years for any rot to appear. I would talk with your insurers about it first and see what advice they offer and whether they would be prepared to meet costs of the leak as you should be insured for that. Clearly some fine detail work has been neglected or it could be the leak was present under the house builders aegis or poor workmanship to put it in common parlance.

I have worked (electrically) on quite a few extensions. In my experience I have often witnessed that when the lintel goes in and the cement is filled in above it they do not wait for it to harden off before removing the acros which causes a fall in the wall above of between 5-10mm. Resulting in major cracks (maybe 3-5mm) appearing across the wall in the structure above the lintel or in your case a falling away of the structure below the bedroom window. This may well have something to do with the leaks you are seeing in your living room. Just an educated guess... It would explain why you are getting more condensation in your bedroom as there is now a greater water ingress from the fall of the wall below your window.

I’ll have to look out the paperwork regarding a warranty, but would it already have 10 years the same as NHBC?

Good luck trying to claim on an NHBC warranty not worth the paper it is written on IMO although not sure it would cover the extension

I’ll post other photos when I’m home.
I have worked (electrically) on quite a few extensions. In my experience I have often witnessed that when the lintel goes in and the cement is filled in above it they do not wait for it to harden off before removing the acros which causes a fall in the wall above of between 5-10mm. Resulting in major cracks (maybe 3-5mm) appearing across the wall in the structure above the lintel or in your case a falling away of the structure below the bedroom window. This may well have something to do with the leaks you are seeing in your living room. Just an educated guess... It would explain why you are getting more condensation in your bedroom as there is now a greater water ingress from the fall of the wall below your window.

Ok. That’s a scary thought.
I remember the architect had a structural engineer involved to size the RSJ.

Looking at the lead work, it seems sealed against the wall, but there are overlapping sections that don’t have any sealer. I can see if it’s windy, the rain could get in between those layers.

We just want it fixed and not leak anymore.

Ok. That’s a scary thought.
I remember the architect had a structural engineer involved to size the RSJ.

Looking at the lead work, it seems sealed against the wall, but there are overlapping sections that don’t have any sealer. I can see if it’s windy, the rain could get in between those layers.

We just want it fixed and not leak anymore.

The lead shouldn't be just sealed against the wall, it should be tucked into a joint between brick courses.

can you actually see sealant on the lead? a roofer shouldnt be using sealant to seal leadwork. thats possibly a quick repair job (that obviously hasnt worked)

I don’t know how much you can make out here...
Is there a roofers forum? E1680084-3B08-4F36-AA57-3071B6DA24F1 - EletriciansForums.net

The extension is where the front door is and the bay window to the left.
The 2 problem areas are directly under the bedroom window, which is now the middle of a room, and below the en-suite window, which is on the sticky out bit. (That’s an architectural design terminology!)
The whole hip roof there is new, from left to right, under the other bedroom window, above the garage door on the right of front door. There is no leak on this side, but there was no extension other than the roof.

When the lead was put on, they cut upwards at an angle into the wall with a stihlsaw to slip the lead in. They couldn’t do this under the window, as it’s tight... so this is why the roofer thinks that’s where the problem is.

You should be able to see the lead, and the gaps between the strips of lead. That’s where I think the rain is coming in, and should be sealed.

Reply to Is there a roofers forum? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock