Discuss Is this possible? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MrTrance

Could I power a light (maybe 60 or 40 watt bulb) using a bit of twin and earth on a 5 amp plug, straight into 230 mains?

I need a light in my loft and want to rig something up?

What size cable do I need and is 5amp fuse correct?

of course you could do it, but depending what method you use, it might not comply with regs. Thats if you actually care about regs. But just use 1.5mm2 t+E. On a 6A circuit breaker. Or if your coming off a spur use a 3 or 5A fuse. Your'e also better off putting a pendant up on a ceiling rose rather than a 5A socket

^ im only first year at college, so most of that doesnt make sense lol. I mean just a light bulb wired with a bit of 1.5 of to a fused plug so I could plug it into an extension from my loft and then onto a socket on second floor?

^ im only first year at college, so most of that doesnt make sense lol. I mean just a light bulb wired with a bit of 1.5 of to a fused plug so I could plug it into an extension from my loft and then onto a socket on second floor?
MrT you are
better off buying a ready made up inspection lamp,comes with plug and several meters of flex,and often comes with a guard around the bulb and even a hanging hook,save you having to mess about with things you might damage yourself with,such as electric.

Twin & Earth shouldn't be used with a plug because it isn't flexible enough.
If it's a temporary measure you'd be better off using an inspection lamp, otherwise seeing as it's in the loft you could probably loop on from the upstairs lighting circuit.

Be careful though...

Reply to Is this possible? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock