Discuss IT IS NOT WORTH IT! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There seems to be an expectation on here that the grant will end sometime soon, meanwhile we have various people in high up places demanding more money be invested in EV charging by the government - which will presumably be via grants.

I can just see @Gavin John Hyde saying to himself, "how on earth is he taking that long! " ?
Damn right I am.
Just save all the files as pdfs and name them with customer surname and what it is.
Spreadsheet takes a few minutes, covering letter aswell.

I use EV comply not so much for generating it all in one file but its digital and I can just click save and add it to the required folder ready for submission.

Things you may have missed did you sign the covering letter even if an image of your signature?
Did you include proof you actually sent the dno form to the dno? copy of email will suffice or letter saying no works required and go ahead with install.

These are 2 things they have got a bit pedantic on of late.

There seems to be an expectation on here that the grant will end sometime soon, meanwhile we have various people in high up places demanding more money be invested in EV charging by the government - which will presumably be via grants.
OZEV confirmed the grants will all but disappear in current form come March 22. the focus will instead be on shared chargers for hmos, apartment blocks etc.. it will take the smaller guys out of the equation. biggest install I have done to date is 10 chargers at one site. currently quoting for one at a company between 6 and 8 7kw chargers and 2 dc rapid chargers if dno permit them.

Damn right I am.
Just save all the files as pdfs and name them with customer surname and what it is.
Spreadsheet takes a few minutes, covering letter aswell.

I use EV comply not so much for generating it all in one file but its digital and I can just click save and add it to the required folder ready for submission.

Things you may have missed did you sign the covering letter even if an image of your signature?
Did you include proof you actually sent the dno form to the dno? copy of email will suffice or letter saying no works required and go ahead with install.

These are 2 things they have got a bit pedantic on of late.
Yep, did all that, so fingers crossed it should go through ?

OZEV confirmed the grants will all but disappear in current form come March 22. the focus will instead be on shared chargers for hmos, apartment blocks etc.. it will take the smaller guys out of the equation. biggest install I have done to date is 10 chargers at one site. currently quoting for one at a company between 6 and 8 7kw chargers and 2 dc rapid chargers if dno permit them.

You’re much more in the loop on this than I am, but I’d be willing to bet grants will carry on for domestic installations post March 22. I’m not sure the market is mature enough to remove them yet and there seems to be a lot of political momentum behind EV’s at the moment.

Are you suggesting the grants will stop and it will just become a ‘free for all’ and no different from fitting an outside socket other than notifying DNO?

You’re much more in the loop on this than I am, but I’d be willing to bet grants will carry on for domestic installations post March 22. I’m not sure the market is mature enough to remove them yet and there seems to be a lot of political momentum behind EV’s at the moment.

Are you suggesting the grants will stop and it will just become a ‘free for all’ and no different from fitting an outside socket other than notifying DNO?
OZEV have already announced and confirmed the grants are radically changing, in their view market is now mature and self sustaining for private households, ie if you can afford to lease, buy an EV at 30K+ you can afford a charge point.
After this it will be a free for all. with most installs being outside the grants that said the better quality charger companies will it seems take steps to prevent cowboys and rogues installing the chargers.
One company who only sell direct and skip wholesalers will sell you a charger but to have the full smart features it will have to be installed and commissioned by an approved installer. if a non approved installer fits it then the smart features wont work, so why would the customer go to DIY dave?Other installers have indicated that anybody can buy the charger in a wholesaler but again the set up will require login info from the manufacturer which is only going to be given to those who have completed training on the products.

I have noticed a change in the EV market, most customers now know what charger they want and research it. they tend to stay away from the cheaper entry models and go for units costing several hundred pounds.
I cant see the cowboys wanting to get in and start ordering these units weeks ahead of an install as for them its all about cash etc and turnover to disappear into the distance, they may well buy a project ev from toolstation and fit it badly, I say let them. the customers I have and want are the ones who have asked for high end products with price tags to match, I also fit a lot of chargers where people have looked and basically run away as the job is a bit too complex for them and involves some work, its not a fix it to the wall and get paid job.

One company who only sell direct and skip wholesalers will sell you a charger but to have the full smart features it will have to be installed and commissioned by an approved installer. if a non approved installer fits it then the smart features wont work, so why would the customer go to DIY dave?Other installers have indicated that anybody can buy the charger in a wholesaler but again the set up will require login info from the manufacturer which is only going to be given to those who have completed training on the products.
Well, not that I can afford an EV, they won't get my business. I have a policy of not buying (as far as I can) product which I then don't "own". Sadly it seems to be the way that lots of stuff is going - you "buy" something, but then find out that the manufacturer basically tells you what you can and can't do with it.
Worse are the products which rely on "some vague 'it's in the internet' service" to work - too many outfits have turned off the server and left owners with bricks that no longer do anything.
Ask (for just one example) any Revolv user how it worked out when Google bought the company and then turned off the servers.

but so much easier would mean less civil servants in pointless employment.

Reply to IT IS NOT WORTH IT! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock