Discuss Jason's Story (Please read) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ElectroChem

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Came across this on my Aussie forum today. 20yo labourer, electrocuted on his 9th day of work. Electrical Contractor staring down the barrel of prison time.

Jason's Story (YouTube)

Another sad example of a string of easily fixed issues that have come together to end one life and shatter many others.

Stay safe people, 'acceptable risks' aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Jason's Story

Sad so sad, we all joke about H&S but in reality it's there to protect everyone. It's easy to be blase but a young life was lost, a family traumatised work mates as well.

I had an incident similar to this many years ago, I was under pressure, and I messed up, luckily there were no long lasting effects, on anyone, except perhaps me.

Re: Jason's Story

Echo Pete's comment. It's extremely sad that someone has had to lose their life in order for lessons to be learned in this situation.

My uncle knew someone that went up in the loft to do a '5-minute job that he knows where the issue is' and came out 2 hours later in a body bag. Electricity is far too dangerous to be blaze about.

Very sad, thanks for sharing.

Something we practice Offshore and just a thought for you lads arriving on your workplaces tomorrow and everyday afterwards,
Prior to getting the tools out just take a step back and do a 20sec scan of your area.
Is there anything obvious that could create a hazard for you or other work colleagues.
If there is, act upon it, report it, don't work around it, you may prevent an accident occurring.
Take care, be safe.

Something we practice Offshore and just a thought for you lads arriving on your workplaces tomorrow and everyday afterwards,
Prior to getting the tools out just take a step back and do a 20sec scan of your area.
Is there anything obvious that could create a hazard for you or other work colleagues.
If there is, act upon it, report it, don't work around it, you may prevent an accident occurring.
Take care, be safe.

Well said Mike good post

Take care, be safe.
Very good advice. The experienced and old-school guys usually roll their eyes when H&S is mentioned but especially for the Trainees it's always worth going over the basics time and time again. It's a necessary habit to get into for every and any task you do, scan the area, think through the method you're going to use, identify possible risks and hazards and figure out how you're going to manage them.

Condense it to 3 questions, What am I going to do? What can go wrong? How can I prevent it? and get into the habit of asking them to yourself. Chances are it won't be your PPE that saves your life, it will be preempting a risk and effectively managing it.

What a devastating video. The fact that it could of 100% been prevented must make it that much harder to deal with.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

I have only just stumbled accross this thread and can only echo previous comments of how sad it is and how these things can be avoided. We work on some pretty big sites which as a lot will know can come with many risks, we have a trainee with us and I am always mindful of what could go wrong. For me my workers safety has to be my priority and taking 10 minutes at the beginning of every job as Marvo suggested is a small price to pay.

When you are on a job where you know the person that has been killed it stays with you forever. Do whatever you can to prevent and avoid this experience.

very sad but that is ridiculous situation..leaving live cables outside in the open next to trenches of water..why was the box not earthed? why was the electricity not isolated? just asking for trouble...imo we're more likely to die from asbestos disease providing your not absolute moron

Reply to Jason's Story (Please read) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock