Discuss Joe Public's perception of Tradesmen. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When posted overseas, I came into contact with people from all sorts of backgrounds, because of my position as Works Supervisor, I became friends with many of these people.
One in particular was an Army Officer who lived in Scotland, or his home was in Scotland, a sort semi Castle type place.
Any way he often mentioned how me and my family would be welcome for a holiday any time we liked. a good deal you might think, no not really, his words were "oh and while you are there Pete could you rewire one of the cottages, no need to worry about paying for your holiday, you do the rewire all for free"
He wasn't a Scotsman, so I couldn't say typical Scot after something for nothing (apologies to all Scots) Needless to say we didn't remain Friends after I told him what he could do with his holiday offer, cheeky Booger. Anyone else had any experiences of people taking them for granted?

All the time mate, you free to pop over and fit a socket or change my fuseboard? Mates rates and all that, ow and bye the way i work in retail/office so i have no skills that i can barter with. What do you mean? i thought tradesman got discount and kit cost nothing. This is why i keep to myself at weekends and do not do cobbles on the side. Not worth the hassle...

Jobs in the side I have always called Foreigners, the Welsh I work with call them Hobbles, @LankyWill just mentioned 'cobbles' - any others?
Not to hijack Pete, I've been using my freebies/ cutprice work as an experience and now I'm at a point that EVERYONE pays, just different rates!

Jobs in the side I have always called Foreigners, the Welsh I work with call them Hobbles, @LankyWill just mentioned 'cobbles' - any others?
Not to hijack Pete, I've been using my freebies/ cutprice work as an experience and now I'm at a point that EVERYONE pays, just different rates!
Have heard them called foreigners the odd time, but generally in these parts its called homers

In Dublin they're called Nixers.

Here as 123 says they're called Homers, though I find quite a few people seem to think a homer is a cash job, like a business getting cash is a homer, as opposed to a cash job done after you've finished your real job,

Reply to Joe Public's perception of Tradesmen. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net