Discuss Leak in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mr king

Hi

i am not an electrician but am looking for help. i have bought an old house and asked the electrician to look at the wires he says that the wires are all very old (this is true) and he also says they are leaking???

Q if they are leaking and nothing is pluged in and no lights are on , do i pay for the electricity that is leaking to the ground?

Thank you

no your not paying for anything i suspect he is trying to keep things simple for you
as cables get old the insulation brakes down and the seperation beetween the conductors weakens this could eventually get to a level where (if you have or will have) a trip(rcbo/rcd) your trip switch will go off

Your electrician has probably done insulation resistance tests and the readings are too low (as explained by markspark above) sounds like you may well need a rewire, unfortunately.

As covered in previous reply's,it is highly unlikely that you are consuming electricity unless something is switched on. For peace of mind ensure all appliances including things like water heaters are off,and check your meter readings. If you have the old disc type meter it should be stationary.
I would be more concerned about the general condition of the wiring,following your electricians report.If its the old rubber type and not pvc it will definately be past its sell by date.
Hope that helps.

Reply to Leak in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I found myself needing to do some emergency plumbing at home this evening. I've got a small guest flat on my property which has been empty for...
Replies
Views
A relative recently had an electrical certification done on a rented property. The property was build in 2005 and had previously passed 3...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Sort of an interesting one. I had a call from a client to say she is getting a shock when using the shower. I told her not to use it and...
Replies
Views
Hi I have an electrician over and he took over from an incompetent builder. The builder already installed the wiring but the electrician told me...
Replies
Views
I removed my baseboard electrical heaters (1981 installed) due to finishing off the room. When I had a new AC ductwork installed they changed the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock