Discuss Lean Improvements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Lean improvements start by asking the question 'Why?', which has been done to death in recent weeks. What positive and constructive personal or corporate actions would members of this forum commit to take in order to improve the user experience of this forum and the product that we corporately deliver our domestic, event goer or industrial customers?

Eh?
How we deliver our service will differ from one member to the next. What works for you might not work for me and vice versa.

...We could all push a "virtual" tumbler around a ouija board,and see if any banned members are still alive...sorry,i meant "Eh?" :icon12:

Lean improvements start by asking the question 'Why?', which has been done to death in recent weeks. What positive and constructive personal or corporate actions would members of this forum commit to take in order to improve the user experience of this forum and the product that we corporately deliver our domestic, event goer or industrial customers?

What in the name of god are you rambling on about?

I hate all that cobblers.

I prefer JFDI.

The quangos can have a long painful meeting discussing what I should be doing and how I'm going to do it after I've just done it.

sounds like someone's canoe developed a leak in the middle of an alligator infested swamp.

The OP appears to have a bad infection of management / HR speak.

Should someone call a doctor or something?

Application of this 'management / HR' speak is what enabled Rolls Royce engines to roll off the manufacturing lines in sufficient numbers during WW II to contribute to the allied victory. It enabled the Ford motor company to build its model 'T' in sufficient numbers to change the face of the world. It enabled the Toyota motor company to rise from the ashes of post WW II Japan to the preeminent position it has today, and most Japanese manufacturers to follow in its footsteps. It has enabled German industry to do likewise. Ignorance of it together with souring management workforce relations are perhaps why we in the UK no longer have a motor industry of our own!

Nature abhors a vacuum ... the internet is like space, something like a vacuum, until people fill it. This forum, or YouTube or Wikipedia if you like can be filled with useless drivel or important and vital debate or knowledge which forms opinion and from opinion, action. I have not read all the historical threads but both examples have happened over the last month. Anyone with any common sense and knowledge of basic principles of physics would naturally be appalled by some of the 'how to' 'electrical' videos on YouTube that some have shared on here. Equally, there is abhorrence at the existence of Electrical Trainee etc courses and the 'scams', and the 'race to the bottom' regarding the quality of design and implementation of standards in domestic Consumer units to name but a few 'ills'. It all seems to be a blame game that someone else is not 'up to the job'.

Who gives the 'scams' their authority? Is it some mysterious body that sits in secret, possibly that practices funny handshakes ... oh, by the law of averages I have just upset someone here. Or is it the members that flock to join because they see the benefits of membership whether they want the 'costs' or not, or they believe that in order to trade they must be a member! Maybe it is because it makes it cheaper to notify the LABC. Maybe a new trade body is required to deal with the ills of those that exist today; could a group of the members of this forum pool their experience to form the nucleus of that new body?

There is a huge reservoir of trade and business knowledge wrapped up in the membership of this site, it seems to me that this is a talking shop where this knowledge is sometimes freely shared but sometimes closely guarded by the 'inner circle' of 'initiates', a bit like those with the 'funny handshakes'. I recognize that there are some very good reasons for not telling 'Mr DIY' or Miss 'Electrical Trainee' how to 'work live'. Maybe that is enough and we are happy to just complain about the state of ... It is easy to 'snipe' from the sidelines but oh so much harder to make a real stand for something that you believe in and make a difference! Surely there is an opportunity perhaps to dramatically change the face of UK electrical contracting for the better.

Perhaps, as a 'starter for 10' the site owner or moderators could identify how many current members are registered on the forum? That might indicate what level of inertia might be generated if the forum's membership were to be motivated to pull together for the common good!

aren't "human resources" another term for marvo's missionary stews?

Application of this 'management / HR' speak is what enabled Rolls Royce engines to roll off the manufacturing lines in sufficient numbers during WW II to contribute to the allied victory. It enabled the Ford motor company to build its model 'T' in sufficient numbers to change the face of the world. It enabled the Toyota motor company to rise from the ashes of post WW II Japan to the preeminent position it has today, and most Japanese manufacturers to follow in its footsteps. It has enabled German industry to do likewise. Ignorance of it together with souring management workforce relations are perhaps why we in the UK no longer have a motor industry of our own!

Hum.... we don't have a motor industry because the UK thought it could keep on churning out rubbish (with different badges) and totally ignored the Japanese and Germans.

The UK car industry was "run" by Engineers who didn't have an eye on the marketing and sales nor the threat.

The same could be said for the schemes - they haven't got a cluse whats going on at the coal face, and live in a bubble - they they too are disconnected from reality.

Hum.... we don't have a motor industry because the UK thought it could keep on churning out rubbish (with different badges) and totally ignored the Japanese and Germans.

The UK car industry was "run" by the unions who didn't give a flick as long as the got maximum pay for minimum effort

The same could be said for the schemes - they haven't got a cluse whats going on at the coal face, and live in a bubble - they they too are disconnected from reality.

corrected that for you murdoch.

Still got a head ache, reading this garbage has made it worse, off to see nursy for some comfort.

Just keep the kanban stocked and everything will be alright.

Reply to Lean Improvements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net