Discuss Need a different mcb in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi al it’s not. DIY job I’m aware of that. But I have just purchased an electric range cooker. Had an electrician out to extend cooker cable and he told me the instructions Manila of the cooker required a 40amp MCB. I’m not really in the market as of yet to be changing the consumer unit and I wondered if anybody knew where I could get a 40amp rated MCB for my very old GET SCHUPA consumer unit or if there are any “compatible” ones floating around?

Attachments

• Need a different mcb 97350241-CBC7-4A6E-A13B-AF6794585248 - EletriciansForums.net
    97350241-CBC7-4A6E-A13B-AF6794585248.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
I found this and it looks kinda similar??

Attachments

• Need a different mcb 15B5DAE1-7B37-4FA3-A9FA-06BE3CD126E8 - EletriciansForums.net
    15B5DAE1-7B37-4FA3-A9FA-06BE3CD126E8.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Need a different mcb 8D5E4C1E-0C97-4FA6-BD70-300C26C93706 - EletriciansForums.net
    8D5E4C1E-0C97-4FA6-BD70-300C26C93706.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 25
I’m not sure if this is correct . But I thought 13kw would draw around 56 amps therefore surely I would need a 60amp MCB? Is that not correct ? I’m just paranoid

I will get round to having the consumer unit replaced when the rest of the house Reno is finished

Attachments

• Need a different mcb 1D98B6DD-29FB-4ACC-A368-CF5AABE938BD - EletriciansForums.net
    1D98B6DD-29FB-4ACC-A368-CF5AABE938BD.png
    373 KB · Views: 14
The cooker is not likely to operate at is full possible loading. All heating elements would have to be on and cycling simultaneously at the same time, this is highly unlikely. Leave the 32A and see how it goes.

Manufacturers like quoting bigger numbers than competitors .
Ovens are not meant to be space heaters -- That's why we shut the door , it warms
and power consumption drops.

The cooker is not likely to operate at is full possible loading. All heating elements would have to be on and cycling simultaneously at the same time, this is highly unlikely. Leave the 32A and see how it goes.

You say that, but with the missus cooking three different meals...one for me one for her and one for the daughter ....

So the 13kw is with the oven, grill and all 5hobs on at the same time?

Is the cooker connected and have you tried it.

Is the cooker connected and have you tried it.

It’s not connected. We got the oven from AO and paid extra for fitting. But as we were told the fuse needed upgrading they wouldn’t connect it up. I mean if I turn the MCB off I’m sure I can wire it in... it’s like changing a socket surely?

The problem with upgrading to a 40A device is that the existing 6mm cable depending on its installation method may not be of a suitable size.

Stove installation experts (are keen to cover their asses).
I can remove it for you . On to next job asap...
(Upset with non fire rated light fitting - still sitting "pristine" where it could
become part of a chip pan fire disaster )
I may remove it when Mr parents move , for a more trendy re-fit !

If you could get all the hobs and ovens on and drawing 13kw you wouldn't be able to stand in the kitchen for long.

You'd need a commercial extract system to remove the heat.

It’s not connected. We got the oven from AO and paid extra for fitting.

I hope you asked for the fitting fee back.

That board looks like a Wickes one. Don't know if they still do that model.

By the way manufacturers instructions are guidance only and don't have to be followed if they are wrong. It appears they are wrong in this case.

Reply to Need a different mcb in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock