Discuss NIC Rip off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is it just me or do other feel like the NICEIC are ripping us off?

We have been a member of the NICEIC for over 16 years and initially we just had the obligatory half day visit, which is included in the annual fee.

One year we had about 6 months work in Doncaster (we are based in South London) and consequently, at the inspection, the NICEIC wished to see the job as it made up a substantial part of the years work. No problem and I didn't even mind paying the extra dollars!

Anyway, ever since then they always booked us for a full days visit and charge me the extra £388 (which is for the extra half day as half a day is already I included in the annual fee).

Over the last four years or so the work has dropped off and is nowhere near as far afield. So this year I questioned why we still needed the extra half day. I was told by an operative at NICEIC HQ, that this decision was down to the inspector. I reminded her that he wouldn't know until he turned up by which time it would be to late as she had booked him out for the whole day already. Which was why I was trying to be helpful and was letting them know now. Again she insisted that she couldn't do anything and that it was the inspectors decision.

He turned up and after looking at the work agreed that there was not enough to see over the whole day. From 10 or so Certs he picked out the only four installation jobs that we had, as the others we small and not worth seeing, and after making calls to them I told him that we couldn't get in to any as they was all residential and the clients were at work.

He told me that he'd have to mark this down as a major non compliance as we couldn't see any work and I would need another half day visit (£388!). I said what about the half day that's booked for today? He told me that he'd get them to cancel the invoice.

I informed him that I was not happy as how could this be my fault when I had told his office that there was not enough work and then when he chose which jobs to look at, we couldn't get in anyway.

He replied that there was a lesson to be learned and that I would need to make sure I arranged the jobs in future.
'We're not allowed to do that', I replied, 'we're not allowed to choose which jobs you see!'
'Well', he said, 'Something is better than nothing at all!'

Now tell me this guys, it's not me is it? It's not as if the annual fee is cheap anyway, but to lever the other £388 or so, in any ay they can, amounts to a con doesn't it?

I've been around long enough to realise when something doesn't smell right, and generally speaking, if I feel that I am being done, then some thing is definitely amiss!

I am on the verge of telling them to poke the membership and we will go elsewhere.

Your thoughts on the situation, what the other scam schemes are like and similar experiences would be gratefully received.

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT !

the-fugly-27.jpg

Yes the NICEIC are a con. Yes their customer services are a joke. No, they don't give a ---- about any of their registered contractors or the customers they serve.

Here's how they treated my workmate.

NICEIC "Here's your assessment date, it's less than 21 days from now"
Sparky "But I can't make that and it costs me to cancel within 21 days"
NICEIC "Well we sent sent the letter before then. We must have done because that's what we are telling you"
Sparky "But I didn't receive it before then"
NICEIC "Tough"
Sparky "But why couldn't you have notified me sooner, or sent an email, or sent a text, or called me to confirm like Elecsa do with my mate Andy78 ?"
NICEIC "Our systems aren't set up for advanced things like emails or phone calls you know, even though we bombard you constantly with emails about things we want to sell you. We can only send letters and we never have any problems. It must be just you."
Sparky "But the last operative I spoke to about this said you have lots of problems related to this flawed system that seems to be designed to catch people out with charges"
NICEIC "Oh, well, she shouldn't have said that"
Sparky "Right well I'll cancel then as this is the third time in a row you have mismanaged the yearly assessment process"
NICEIC "Yeah ok. We are still charging you though"

Last edited:
I had the exactly the same thing with the half day - full day episode

i took this up with my assessor, eventually he got me a refund on my extra half day, but got this years date through and its a full day again, i think they do this as standard now, cheeky gits! All them extra half days dont half mount up i imagine

they actually wanted payment for the additional half day last year before i even had my assesment!, i refused!

I had the exactly the same thing with the half day - full day episode

i took this up with my assessor, eventually he got me a refund on my extra half day, but got this years date through and its a full day again, i think they do this as standard now, cheeky gits! All them extra half days dont half mount up i imagine

they actually wanted payment for the additional half day last year before i even had my assesment!, i refused!

Yep it works out that we're now paying somewhere around £850 a year before any notification and cert costs. They tried to get payment from me early too, and I too refused. The thing is, they are watching us but who do we complain to?

I've always picked the jobs and booked them in with the customer. I'd never let the nic inspector have free rein.

As above,prior to the visit we pick out around half a dozen jobs and arrange access,the inspector can choose which ones he goes to. Our inspector always picks one EICR as a job and views that from the office PC only!

what happens to the poor clients who have arranged to take time off to let you in, in the case of domestic work?

The arrangement is made on the basis that the inspector may or may not visit. Obviously we would not expect anyone to have time off or wait in. Most clients if you explain the situation are happy to arrange for a key to be available if they are not around. as for commercial jobs then they are likely to be around,and only need warning that you might show a face.

They may be heading in that direction now, and there are some coordinated features that I do not like, but the ELECSA inspectors that I have had are much more friendly and actually seem to know what they are talking about.

Fair enough. I just meant they are physically the same company. Certsure.

both of them.

One word;

STROMA

£288 for the whole year, my assessment was completed by a nice bloke (about 1.5hrs) , and he had no issue with changing the location of the works to be inspected on the day due to an access issue.

Easy

My only gripe is that their website is a clunky, but thats easily forgivable considering the savings of stress, time and ££!

One word;

STROMA

£288 for the whole year, my assessment was completed by a nice bloke (about 1.5hrs) , and he had no issue with changing the location of the works to be inspected on the day due to an access issue.

Easy

My only gripe is that their website is a clunky, but thats easily forgivable considering the savings of stress, time and ££!

If I'm honest that sounds worse £288 for 1.5 hours, Our Niceic guy was there for a full shift over 5 jobs and was very thorough, He went through everything on site and office.

Reply to NIC Rip off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net