Discuss Nuisance Tripping in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

s6stu

-
Reaction score
Hi people,

I have been asked to investigate a problem regarding the tripping of an RCD at a customers house, which has apparently become increasingly worse. The fuse board was fitted, by an electrician, roughly 8 years ago. For some reason he fitted an RCD main switch, no split load, on a TN-S system. Is there a good reason for this?

Anyway, the tripping seems to occur at random times, (sometimes at night) and not on the activation of a particular circuit. The only obvious thoughts that come to mind are either a loose connection somewhere or breakdown in insulation?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi people,

I have been asked to investigate a problem regarding the tripping of an RCD at a customers house, which has apparently become increasingly worse. The fuse board was fitted, by an electrician, roughly 8 years ago. For some reason he fitted an RCD main switch, no split load, on a TN-S system. Is there a good reason for this?

Anyway, the tripping seems to occur at random times, (sometimes at night) and not on the activation of a particular circuit. The only obvious thoughts that come to mind are either a loose connection somewhere or breakdown in insulation?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi

a loose connection wouldnt cause an RCD to trip. I would look for something like an outside light or an external socket that has got water in it, or something like a bit of twin and earth that has been run to shed at the bottom of the garden, that has been 'shovelled' or chewed (seen it before!). "progressively worse" excludes wiring faults so is generally degredation of some kind

be useful to know what circuits are on there

it could just be something dodgy plugged into a socket, but it would mean unplugging everything or switching off the ring for extended periods to see if the fault reoccurs

Hi,

haven't replied as I've only just managed to start the job! You know how it is e.t.c...

I started by checking the details asked for here, nothing unusual circuit wise, sockets lights. The RCD is an 80A rated, 30mA operation. However, shock horror, there was no earth conductor!! I've obviously installed one now, I assume this would cause the tripping? Not sure about the tripping becoming progressively worse, perhaps they were becoming progressively more fed up with it!

Also, as a side question, I suppose the RCD was tripping due to the earth leakage elsewhere on the circuits being seen as a fault?

Reply to Nuisance Tripping in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock