Discuss nuts and screws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lionelmcc

OK can some of you experienced guys do some jargon busting for me regarding screw sizes?

The ones we affix sockets to boxes for instance M ,,,,, what?
The little ones that fix the covers onto central heating controllers ( can the nuts be obtained for these?).
the brass ones pan heads for conduit boxes?

any others I haven' thought of?

L

Hey.

Faceplate screws are M3.5
Conduit box screws are M4

As for the heating ones, not really sure.

Another one is the gutter bolts we use sometimes for joining tray, earthing the banjo ring on a SWA they are M6.

Cheers

m stands for machined thread 3.5/4/6 is mm if the central heating screws have a neat thread they are m something,
old m4s were 2ba there were 4ba also but im not quite that old:D:D

thanks chaps

Can nuts be purchased for all these sizes?
Especially for the little ones that fix the covers on heating controllers. They are really hard to find if
one falls out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The subject of nuts and bolts is massive. Thank goodness we generally now only use Metric

The M stands for British Standrd ISO Metric. so a M6 screw is a metric screw of 6mm dia and threaded all the way up the shank..

The following may be helpful in identifiying some metric thread sizes by the width of the screw head across the flats.

M1.6 screw is 3.2mm across the flats
M2 screw is 4.0mm across the flats
M2.5 screw is 5.0mm across the flats
M3 screw is 5.5mm across the flats
M4 screw is 7.0mm across the flats
M5 screw is 8.0mm across the flats
M6 screw is 10.0mm across the flats
M8 screw is 13.0mm across the flats
M10 screw is 17.0mm across the flats
M12 screw is 19.0mm across the flats

A screw has a thread all the way up the shank but a bolt has a thread only for part of the shank.

BA screws (British Standard Association Thread)

2BA were used on old conduit boxes (circular)
4BA were used on old switch and socket boxes

I would guess that the screw size on the central heating control unit would be 2mm.

Just a point on wood screws, a number 8 size wood screw would be 8mm across the width of the head, and a number 10 wood screw would be 10mm across the width of the head, etc etc

And yes, as Markspark666 says all metric screws and bolts will have nuts available.

I hope this helps

thanks guys

I know there must be nut available,,,,,,,,,, BUT WHERE????????

what about A2 etc

Reply to nuts and screws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock