Search the forum,

Discuss One out, one in, nice! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

VoltzElectrical

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
IMG_0292.jpgIMG_0294.jpg

I went for a metal clad BG board and all RCBO setup from Electric fix and was very impressed with the quality and price. £127 all in, delivered to my door as well. Which was nice.

Voltz....their a better board than Wylex...full stop.
theres a few in here that like em

Well that's good to know. I got poo pooed about them from someone with brand snobbery when I first started using them, but my response was 'well they have to comply with British Standards so how bad can they be?' I just went with my instinct and now would say that I would use them with full confidence and recommend them.

If they can knock out RCBOs for less than £15, then why can't the rest of them? It's about time the price of these came down. Just lucky I got the remit from the customer to design and install whatever I wanted.

i put 2 BG boards in , in both cases the mcb's came apart when tightening, must have just had a bit of bad luck.but as u said they pass the british standard.and at that price u cant put up with an odd mcb breaking

Well that's good to know. I got poo pooed about them from someone with brand snobbery when I first started using them, but my response was 'well they have to comply with British Standards so how bad can they be?' I just went with my instinct and now would say that I would use them with full confidence and recommend them.

If they can knock out RCBOs for less than £15, then why can't the rest of them? It's about time the price of these came down. Just lucky I got the remit from the customer to design and install whatever I wanted.
check out the busbar on the BG compared to the wylex....
that says it all really...
i had it from screwfix bird behind the counter....goin on about how the BG RCDs were coming back....
like she`s gonna know anything about RCDs....

`can you get me a coffee whilst i`m waiting love`....

As you put it up expect some pickyness ..... neat board yes but the tails are not anchored in any way ...anybody knocking or moving the tails will directly put movement on the terminations which means they can loosen .... a nice bit of large trunking would have also finished the deal for me, with regards to the circuits above the board its looks rough as it stands ........ its a shame that the lid has to go on because you spent you time making the internals neat bit kinda fallen short with the part the customer see's. 5/10

Can do better ;)

i put 2 BG boards in , in both cases the mcb's came apart when tightening, must have just had a bit of bad luck.but as u said they pass the british standard.and at that price u cant put up with an odd mcb breaking
had it with Wylex....coming apart....in fact one of the wylex breakers the plastic snapped where the termination was.....so that had to be binned...lucky i had a 6A B spare then wasn`t it...
trick is ...not to overtighten...you can kind of `feel` when their there...

stranded cables:
always rattle the cable with one hand whilst tightening with the other...this ensures the strands settle down nicely......

As you put it up expect some pickyness ..... neat board yes but the tails are not anchored in any way ...anybody knocking or moving the tails will directly put movement on the terminations which means they can loosen .... a nice bit of large trunking would have also finished the deal for me, with regards to the circuits above the board its looks rough as it stands ........ its a shame that the lid has to go on because you spent you time making the internals neat bit kinda fallen short with the part the customer see's. 5/10

Can do better ;)
i agree about the trunking Dark....
it needs another visit...an hour should do it....

i agree about the trunking Dark....
it needs another visit...an hour should do it....

Ha! I haven't finished there yet. I still have a smoke detector to install, and something to do with the lights in the back room. I'll deffo be looking at the cables above the board. I have to make good the hole in the ceiling too, where the cables come through. Will post piccy of final install with cover on. TBH, I can't see me putting them in trunking as the cable spread across the top of the board is too great. Maybe I'll box them in...

Ha! I haven't finished there yet. I still have a smoke detector to install, and something to do with the lights in the back room. I'll deffo be looking at the cables above the board. I have to make good the hole in the ceiling too, where the cables come through. Will post piccy of final install with cover on. TBH, I can't see me putting them in trunking as the cable spread across the top of the board is too great. Maybe I'll box them in...
put several pieces of trunking in...side to side....
you can seperate the finals so..lets say both legs of rings are in one enclosure (trunking)...and so on....
for what you need several ends of trunking...or an offcut you can get 3 stabs out of will cut it....

put several pieces of trunking in...side to side....
you can seperate the finals so..lets say both legs of rings are in one enclosure (trunking)...and so on....
for what you need several ends of trunking...or an offcut you can get 3 stabs out of will cut it....

Do you REALLY think that's worth all the (chargeable) effort to hid a bit of twin and earth at high level in a rental property? That doesn't even look too bad swept in like that? Hardly 'rough' is it?

Reply to One out, one in, nice! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock