Discuss Other Routes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuaneMHunt1976

Just wondering what courses people have done, towards electrical's

I didnt do any thing at school (just called thick and took it in,also got called cheat (High marks in RE and changed system in ART) only came out with GCSE Maths C (think i could of passed that 2yrs before and not wasted 2yr doing other GCSEs)

College BTEC First in Engineering (did well in computers and electronics) hand on Engineering (building a steam boiler) the Tutor came from the Isle of Wight so feel pasted that bit on that point
Then did Electronics and Computing, my last tutor designed the C&G version. I was great at computer programming and the Maths helped a lot with the Electronics, Merits but the second year i was not in to it so only got Pass.

I did Electrical's because a Interview at Knowhow left me waiting for hour plus and only when i seen me as he went for a cuppa, did i get a interview. So i did signed up for Electricians Course, had to do a TEST to get on it (because my MATHS might not be up to it!!, English maybe but Maths No way).
Building a few Lighting circuits and Conduit etc MICC, and work sheets, heath and saftey (still cant spell that). Then to my shock ANOTHER COURSE 2330-07 level 3, just keep going, very nervice about this as i had to remember and TYPE out safe isolation and tests. And then there is the pratical, i nearlly got full marks on one of the exams, just he couldnt read my 230 and looked like 220, i just wanted out of there and it didnt effect my mark. Then my College added on 17th Edition for Ā£50 just marking up the book with tabs, didnt feel i learnt that much. I did do most of the exam from my head for speed making sure i had some thing selected in each box, before looking over them and then checking with the book.

Looked at joining NAPIT, but wanted me to do have 2394/5,

Looking around for 2394/5 (still pritty new) i know the pass rate for 2391 and figured if only 40% passed it then what hope in hell have i. So i did 2377 to pass the time, what felt like just insulation resistance test on goods to me. Pass that dam easy, shocked some guys i used to work with Faild it!!

Last year I did some thing called Logic Cef 2394 because i dont remember things like that so the open book was a lot easier tho i didnt like their marking, 75% pass each question, so 3 marks or less needed 100% 4 marks you could drop one. With my reading and mis reading of questions, i could easy drop marks but pick them up else were. I did pass that and came back later to do 2395, this time with EAL, open book again and found it a lot easier. I split the 2394/5 because i was scared of not passing, never a sure thing, cost me Ā£150 but i had 10 days, 5 for each course, took them all and tried to learn as much as i could.

I did lose marks on two things, Fused Screwdriver/Induction pen as proof of circuit being alive, (i think that was it, i know whatever it was i was told its was unsafe to use it really so Dont, so i chucked it out of my mind). And the other thing was working, Scope/Limitations, to me they are the same word, just one seems positive, The Range of things... Scope.... Limitations, dont touch these things.

So signed up with NAPIT, and then they told me i need to be doing testin for 2yr, this was 8days before my test. Wasnt happy as i felt they had changed things on me, plus they told me at 5pm on Friday so no one to ask what to do then!! I did speak to Stroma but they wanted me to be trading for 2yr. So NICEIC was the only one left, exam on the 24/8.

Tho i have all the Qualificaions, i feel hands on is dam important and knowin how to trade. Ask one of the guys i was at college with if i could tag on, so i hope this falls in to place, he has a house to rewire. He was VERY helpful when i was doing the course.

C&G2330 Level 2 .. C&G2330 Level 3 .. C&G2377 .. LCL2394 .. EAL2395
Used C&G numbers as its easier for people to know them, but LCL and EAL are normally called by their name Initial Verification and Periodic's etc

Would like to try at 2399 and 2919 for fun, and maybe one day 2396 (tho level 4, i think is well above my ablitity to read and write at) I could do a bridge unit for the 2357 for the full NVQ3, Mecca for Part time Study persons

Welcome Duane

Im surprised you passed anything with that grammar mate. Is there a question in all that? You might want to do your NVQ first then your a fully fledged electrician.

Just wondering what courses people have done, towards electrical's
A leading question is

I agree with you, the nvq3 2357 should be what I aim for

Tho I would want all information on Am2 part, to.be able to pass I need to work on a course before

As for my grammar I know my weakness, and it's something I can fix I keep having relays

The question was in the title open, your route must of been 2330 level two and three, then a bridge unit was it? With the AM 2
Seems a lot of qualifications that you can do but don't get much out of it
2394/5 for a start and part p joke, not needing nvq3 if you just want to do domestic
To be self employed and live than kiss boss butt's trying to keep in a job that stresses people out
Also means I can do person projects building electric guitars for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry duane, Your dyslexic and im BLIND. I think you have done too much hard work not to bother with nvq/am2 as this can give you valuable rounded education. Working with an old boy is the best way to learn hands on experience and put theory in to practice. I think if you were to go out and work for yourself you would have a lot of issues with simple stuff and struggle at the customers expense. An NVQ makes sure you have the hands on ability to do the basics. When i qualified i learnt more from my mentor and would be screwed without him. No arse kissing per say as he knows im qualified and capable.\

EDIT- this isnt a dig at you

Reply to Other Routes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net