Discuss Owl and PV in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

puddy

I got an e-mail from owl this morning about their new micro+ device read below on the info that comes with them. At least Owl tell their customers upfront that they are not accurate when fitted with pv installs

OWL Electricity Monitors and Solar PV

OWL Electricity Monitors are designed to monitor domestic electricity consumption as supplied via the electricity suppliers metered supply. Solar PV installations operate outside the bounds of the electricity monitor parameters for most of the day. At very low power levels (below 500W) the monitor accuracy will be significantly impaired. These power levels will be operating for most of the day in a UK Solar PV installation.
OWL Electricity Monitors are not able to calculate the net use of electricity where PV Solar has been added to the Installation (ie metered supply consumption).

· OWL Electricity Monitors are not able to detect the direction of current flow, so placing the sensor at the meter will result in the display showing higher than actual consumption. Sensors on the output from the Inverter may also display the power required by the inverter at night this will be inaccurate (see above) and will be added to the power apparently generated.

OWL Electricity Monitors can be used to monitor generated electricity from your PV Solar. · By placing the sensor over the live wire coming from the AC Inverter. (Note:- when the PV Solar is not generating electricity the OWL Electricity Monitor will add the low level electricity consumed by the inverter ie night time, this consumption may be exaggerated because of the low power levels).

· OWL+USB would be best suited as you can get a profile of the generation during on a minute by minute basis using the OWL PC Application or online solutions such as PVOutput

OWL Electricity Monitors can be used to monitor consumption when you have PV Solar.

· By placing the sensor on the single live cable into your distribution board / fuse board from the junction box connecting the PV Solar and metered electricity supply. (Note:- when PV Solar is installed not all have the junction box between the consumer unit and PV Solar/Metered supply). OWL Electricity Monitor will add the low level electricity consumed by the inverter ie night time, this consumption may be exaggerated because of the low power levels).

· OWL+USB would be best suited as you can get a profile of the consumption during on a minute by minute basis using the OWL PC Application or online solutions such as PVOutput

Below is a diagram showing where to connect the sensors for monitoring just the generation and just the consumption (please note this may not directly reflect your installation).

To measure both generation and consumption would require two separate OWL systems

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Owl and PV in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net