Discuss Petition to boycott macdonalds in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Nothing to do with their carbon footprint... quite the opposite.
After replacing the plastic straws with paper, which is just stupid as it disintegrates before the drink is finished.... they’ve now replaced the McFlurry cups with paper!

FA0835A6-0A22-46A1-88D7-4C2AF53E7D78.jpeg

I’m all for saving the planet, but really?!?!

Stop drinking sugar filled drinks and you won't have that problem.

On a side note I'm addicted to their flat whites...

i can't boycott mc.donalds. my brother-in-law holds franchises on 10 of them.

But still a plastic straw ?
I've been personally boycotting that place for years. Not for moral reasons just that I'd rather eat food.

Were the ice creams things not served in paper cups beforehand ?

I don't really get why paper straws don't work these days, they used to when i was a kid and they were standard across pretty much all fast food places.

I think the old days paper straws were maybe glued together and there was a safety issue about putting them in your mouth (?)

I remember paper lolly sticks that went soggy after a while, and then replaced with plastic

Maccy only has ice cream cones or flurry’s. The cones are wafer biscuit, edible.... the flurry’s came in a clear plastic cup with a domed lid with a hole

Our school must have changed over from paper to red plastic way back in the early 70s .. free 1/3 pint mik bottles ?

..Mc flurry with smashed m&m bits , still a problem even if you let it melt - not going up a straw !
( The amount of suck their shakes need .. plays my gums up)

Hmmm (as Murdoch would say), let me have a little think. I have 2 choices:

1. I can continue my present opulent course of life, and perhaps my children's children may even be able to do the same and then planet catastrophe, or..

2. I can suffer the hardship of a paper straw and cup that doesn't give me quite the same pleasure as a plastic one.

Socrates would have a hard time philosophising this one.

I don't think we are there yet with the straw thing.

Good move by maccies. But one has to think if they actually care much, or whether it's a tax they're avoiding or getting rebated on. Or even just a rubbish pile that is smaller to get rid of so cheaper.

Usually something profit related when they're that big.

It's a nice treat every now and then IMO. I still go the odd drive through, especially when I've got the dogs in the car after a big walk.

Single use plastics need banning. The quicker they do the better IMO.

I don't think we are quite there yet. Paper straws suck.

But not so long ago the burgers were still in poly of some sort. If I remember rightly.

So it will get somewhere acceptable soon enough.

The real story with the paper straws at McDonalds... is that they cannot be recycled (for technical reasons) so they'll all go to landfill... whereas the plastic ones were re-cycled !

So why do maccy still use the dumb plastic spoon?
It’s shaped a certain way so it clips to a machine which blows air through the spoon handle and “flurries” up the ice cream.
They don’t do that around here anymore. It’s just ice cream, sauce, spoon.

They may as well replace the spoon with a wooden version. Like the forks you get at a chippy.

The real story with the paper straws at McDonalds... is that they cannot be recycled (for technical reasons) so they'll all go to landfill... whereas the plastic ones were re-cycled !
Current proper landfill is better than the old.

They will decompose in 12 months.

Hotel I stayed in recently has stopped giving out plastic bottles of shower gel and installed wall mounted pumps instead, with gel and shampoo in 100 percent recycled containers. They used to have plastic combs too, in a poly sleeve, now it's a wooden comb in a paper envelope.
[automerge]1570564281[/automerge]
My favourite watering hole has recycled paper everything...
I applaud this approach ?
IMG_20191008_215136945.jpg

Last edited:

Reply to Petition to boycott macdonalds in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net