Discuss Phillips or Pozi in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I can only imagine its because the mass of screws produced means they wre chepa to buy. I don't know any electrician here that uses them much, mainly square head used here.

I use loads of screws.
Cable cleats, distribution boards, back boxes, trunking, lights.
They all need attaching to something

Blue tack is great for posters in the kids rooms but I don’t think I would hang a light fitting with it.

I use loads of screws.
Cable cleats, distribution boards, back boxes, trunking, lights.
They all need attaching to something

Blue tack is great for posters in the kids rooms but I don’t think I would hang a light fitting with it.
I presumed he meant he doesn't know why they still produce that type of screw, not why they still produce screws all together. I also use screws, some would say I am a fan of the marvellous piece of material that they are.

I presumed he meant he doesn't know why they still produce that type of screw, not why they still produce screws all together. I also use screws, some would say I am a fan of the marvellous piece of material that they are.

Not so much that I didn't know why they're still produced, but why they remain so popular. I use square heads for almost everything and could count on one hand the number of times I've damaged one - those few occasions were driving at a severe angle with an impact driver. Compare that to the number of times anyone who owns a screwdriver will have encountered a damaged Phillips or Pozi head...

Phillips and Pozi serve a purpose, but have significant limitations and more reliable alternatives have existed for as long as those two screw forms have been around. PH & PZ are a better option than slotted drive, but not significantly so.

I think pozi are better than slotted by miles, especially if using a Yankee driver!
[automerge]1597788609[/automerge]
Also, if you use proper pozis, like turbo ultra, they self-drill and drive very quickly...but those chinese ones made of case-hardened cheese are a disaster...pit an impact driver near them and they melt

Not so much that I didn't know why they're still produced, but why they remain so popular. I use square heads for almost everything and could count on one hand the number of times I've damaged one - those few occasions were driving at a severe angle with an impact driver. Compare that to the number of times anyone who owns a screwdriver will have encountered a damaged Phillips or Pozi head...

Phillips and Pozi serve a purpose, but have significant limitations and more reliable alternatives have existed for as long as those two screw forms have been around. PH & PZ are a better option than slotted drive, but not significantly so.
I agree. I keep a small selection of pozidrives in large or random sizes that square heads aren't available in. Slotted drive i never use. Only slotted screws i use are for screwing up faceplates.

I agree. I keep a small selection of pozidrives in large or random sizes that square heads aren't available in. Slotted drive i never use. Only slotted screws i use are for screwing up faceplates.

My father seems to have a never ending supply of slotted screws in every imaginable size, although he invariably uses an unsuitable size for every job (most likely whatever was in his pocket at the time). I hate the things with a passion and my heart sinks every time I see a slotted screw with its slot partially sheared.

I have some slotted screws in big sizes, left over from my boatbuilding days. They are silicon-bronze and pretty massive. used to drive them in with a brace and bit...museum pieces now, I guess. i do remember they were incredibly expensive, but were preferred to stainless steel, particularly underwater, for their corrosion resistance. As mentioned earlier on another thread, one of my boats had a lot of Robertson screws...nice finish, but you need the right driver...
[automerge]1597791741[/automerge]
Is it just me, or do you all like fastenings? I marvel at the huge rust-proof coachscrews i used for decking jobs...bung a socket on your SDS and just drive them home...and those Multi-Montis and suchlike for concrete etc...pilot hole, drive them in, use a socket or whatever...solid! And today's wood screws, of reputable makes, they just do the job for you...no pilot, just drive...how did we ever manage without them? Well, we did, but it's just so much easier now. Only downside i see is the finer shafts, but actually haven't found many problems with strength.

Last edited:
Also fine in faceplates and many other applications, but don't belong in places where significant torque would be required to tighten them. Aesthetics is one all well and good, but not to the detriment of practicality.

I prefer people to ask for a 'crosshead' screwdriver, so that I have an intro for asking whether they want Pozi and Phillips so that I can give them the right one. If they come asking for one or the other, it's a bit presumptious to suggest they might be wrong and grill them over what kind of recess their screw has. I usually say something like 'Please only use it for Phillips screws, if you need a Pozidriv too, you're welcome to take that as well.'

'Actually, I think you need a JIS' usually draws odd looks. I keep and use them regularly as I often work on Japanese equipment.

Much prefer if tradesmen came to work with the range of tools they might need during the course of their day.

I know this isn't an ideal world, but what sort of plumber goes to work without a selection of commonly used screwdrivers?

I know this isn't an ideal world, but what sort of plumber goes to work without a selection of commonly used screwdrivers?
I'm sure they do, the universal set Telectrix has posted :rolleyes: I think it would be fairer to say that most have zero idea that there is more than one type of "cross head" screwdriver - and just have one crosshead driver - and well worn so it can chew up even matching screws.

My heart used to sink on site, when Mr Plumber came along to borrow a "cross head" screwdriver. The question as to if he needed a Pozi or Philips always seemed a difficult one.
I carry two PZ2, the (new) good one and when its due replacing its downgraded in status to the "loaner"/undo old graunched screws/use on mk&wylex and other combo-fit-nothing-properly-heads etc.

never understood the point of pz, always found less slippage with phillips. pz seems almost made to degrade

I find quite the reverse - Philips is very bad for camming out so you can have to push quite hard to avoid cam-out while shifting a stuck screw, while Pozi is generally much better.
BTW - I 100% recommend the Wera "diamond" bits, they really do make a difference.

I find quite the reverse - Philips is very bad for camming out so you can have to push quite hard to avoid cam-out while shifting a stuck screw, while Pozi is generally much better.
BTW - I 100% recommend the Wera "diamond" bits, they really do make a difference.
What phillips are we talking - the ones typically supplied with light fittings - always cheap rubbish, and rarely attempt try to use 'em, reckon theyre phillips size 1 ¾ , must be a chinese thing!

the black ones used to fix plasterboard the screwdriver seems to go really far deep down inside and never slips!

PS have we had the decorators favourite yet, 2 fixing screws, one (preferably half shank) slotted and one crosshead! hedge the risk!

Reply to Phillips or Pozi in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock