Discuss Plans for the year ahead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So What Plans do we all have for the coming year Business wise.

I will kick it off, I have 2 lads on the books now with one being on a proper Apprenticeship and I am hoping in the coming year to expand and get another Lad on the firm. There is a lot of work in the diary with more in the pipeline so hopefully it can be achieved.
What Ambitions do you all have whether you're cards in or Self employed.

I will kick it off, I have 2 lads on the books now with one being on a proper Apprenticeship and I am hoping in the coming year to expand and get another Lad on the firm. There is a lot of work in the diary with more in the pipeline so hopefully it can be achieved.

Good luck in the new year GMES

My goal next year is to be in a financial position to drop hours at my old job so I can start and pick up more hours working for my uncle. I'm currently working most Saturdays with him and can't currently afford to drop time at work with wife on maternity still, but she returns to work next year so hopefully the ball will roll a bit faster.

Also, I'm hoping to have my level 2 done, my level 3 started, and my 17th ticked off.

Last edited by a moderator:
My goal next year is to be in a financial position to drop hours at my old job so I can start and pick up more hours working for my uncle. I'm currently working most Saturdays with him and can't currently afford to drop time at work with wife on maternity still, but she returns to work next year so hopefully the ball will roll a bit faster.

Also, I'm going to have my level 2 done, my level 3 started, and my 17th ticked off.

Hope it all goes well for you Mate good luck

To up my rates so I can earn the same for doing less. 2015 has been good but too many evenings and weekend hours taken up doing admin

I would say anyone who as more work than they can cope with then Murdochs advice makes sense, put the hourly rate up and do less hours. We can all be busy fools.

I might start doing a bit this year, maybe take some responsibility rather than just flaff about, although it is nice having lots of time off and work occassionally it does get boring, not too much mind, I still need plenty of holidays.

I'm starting a 5 year plan to sell off a couple of areas of my business and head towards early retirement or at least a lot less stress. I'm 50 years old and I want to start concentrating on enjoying life rather than doing 14-16 hour days with no holidays or weekends to myself.

I am trying to build up my customer base, get my name about more so can quit my full time job and go full time for myself after doing last year working evenings and weekends for myself. Hard going my wife and kids hardly see me so that's my main aim to get so I can do my own thing and work normal ish hours. Scary times ahead

For me, get back to full health first and foremost, then, carry on building my business up while I'm employed. I dont really want to go completely self employed until I have more money behind me, but mainly because I have a 2 yr old and one on the way, so I want to spend as much time with them as possible.

Oh, and get my nvq sorted so I can get my approved jib card.

Last edited:
Englishman it's so tough with young ones about hey I have two ones 21 months and one at 10 months. I'm working so many hours with main job and trying to start up on the side. Finding time to do quotes/paperwork is a nightmare. I miss out on so much with the kids doing things but want to make it work for our future.

That's the thing mate. In all honesty, I've got it easy at the moment, I'm employed and doing my own bits at the weekend and in the evenings. I try and limit evening work to quotes or quick jobs though and rarely go out before 7, so I see my little one from half 4 until then. It's also invaluable having paid sick and holiday but you do pay for the easy life by earning crap money.

I too am 50 and my retirement plan is to get into EICRs and by 55 just do those 3 days a week.
Currently I am working as a design engineer but it is in a fairly high stress environment and quite frankly I want to actually live to see retirement :)
Good luck to all of those who are just starting out.
Cheers
B

hi all

looking to do an alarm course (security) in February this year we are installing so many now that it looks a very good opportunity this year for the company to make more money.
also looking at office staff this year as this is holding the company back (more my time spent in office)
setting up proper procedures to follow & am looking at adopting some of MCS paperwork for this.

fair bit I thinkx

Most of my work is sub-contract and seem to busier than ever however would like to fill the quiet times up with my own work. Also need to get my 2396 assignment finished, too many other things taking my time.

While the other 50 + year olds seem to be slowing down I'm going full steam ahead. [I'll be 52 in Feb] Only went S/E in June 2014 but I wish I'd done it years ago, working hard but it can be very satisfying and I took my youngest son on as my apprentice last September, that's going well too. I think if you do a really good job, be friendly and helpful to customers and don't take the p155 with charging you'll always have plenty of work - 90% of mine is through recommendation. There are times when I have to turn work down as just too busy to meet the required timescales, but if things keep going as they are I'll seriously think about taking someone else on in 12 months or so, that would worry me quite a lot though !:confused:

While the other 50 + year olds seem to be slowing down I'm going full steam ahead. [I'll be 52 in Feb] Only went S/E in June 2014 but I wish I'd done it years ago, working hard but it can be very satisfying and I took my youngest son on as my apprentice last September, that's going well too. I think if you do a really good job, be friendly and helpful to customers and don't take the p155 with charging you'll always have plenty of work - 90% of mine is through recommendation. There are times when I have to turn work down as just too busy to meet the required timescales, but if things keep going as they are I'll seriously think about taking someone else on in 12 months or so, that would worry me quite a lot though !:confused:
We are about the same age, 1 week of contracting would finish me off lol, I have been spoilt the past 6years metering. It would kill me, so fair play to you Dave.

Reply to Plans for the year ahead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net