Discuss Pyro in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A bit screwed rod with a slot in it was good for the bigger stuff.
i found a wipe down with an old bit compound aided stripping with a joistripper.
on the subject of Vaseline I got tasked with sorting out the batteries for central battery em light system.
sorted out the cells and went down to boots with my fresh faced first year laddie
asked for the biggest tub of Vaseline they had to funny looks from the boots ladies......

Glad to hear your pulling out dodgy cables, sell it for scrap!

What and put some of that even dodgier FP rubbish in it place

Don't think any of the old hands here will be in the slightest bit surprised by that finding. A MICC cable installation installed by competent electricians will out live the installer and his children, even if taking a few bashes over the years, so long as those bashes don't penetrate the sheath.
Probably the best general small to medium multi core cable size system ever produced

Might even out live the installers gran kids

and how many explosions have happened by people dropping inspection lamps in to pits?

So it's only inspection lamps that cause explosions

i would expect pits to be at least a zone 2 area now so there shouldn't be any standard type portable inspection lamps used

Rather makes a nonsense of your previous comment

....Why have BICC provided a small tub of vaselin with a pack of 10 terms for the last 30 years. I've not always used it but when I have, a tiny bit on starting the strip hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to the integrity of the stuff....might do if your stripping an inch but I doubt it.

Never used any Pyro terms that came with a tub of vaseline

I always thought the tub of lubricant that came in the packet of ends was to help ease the pot on to stop the cable twisting. How many times you heard the screeching noise where someone f**ker is forcing the pot on.

You install and dress it properly, you shouldn't need anything lubricant to strip it with a stripping tool, I use a big screw driver on the bigger gear, using a ringer to get the clean edge.

Smaller gear with a stripper, then ring it off against a pair pliers with the stripper.

On the bigger sizes I've always used a piece of 25mm conduit as a stripping bar

Last edited by a moderator:
.....Why have BICC provided a small tub of vaselin with a pack of 10 terms for the last 30 years. I've not always used it but when I have, a tiny bit on starting the strip hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to the integrity of the stuff....might do if your stripping an inch but I doubt it.

Used BICC's MICC for donkey's years, never seen a tub of vaseline in any of the gland/pot seal packs, The MICC seal packs we are using today on this project, also do not contain pots of vaseline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaseline has a multitude of uses...

I've never used it with micc, I have used it on bus bar joints, isolator switch blades and fuse carrier blades.

A damn site safer than that Castrol green switch grease. That was carcinogenic.

On the cement plant we didn’t use any lubricant at all on switch blades. If the dust got in it would set and the switch couldn’t be opened. I was doing pull ups on an EE 800A switch fuse and still couldn’t shift it.

For busbar joints and many other connections it’s great stuff.

Not used it for a while, but it was the norm during my apprenticeship. My favoured stripping tool was a piece of 1/4 inch rod with a cut into one end and a handle bent into the other.
I never ever like the new fangled pot crimping tool that was introduced in the 70's, I always preferred the screw-on pots. The straightener was a great tool for a real nice finish.

IMG_0440.JPGIMG_0441.JPGIMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0439.JPGMade thousands of the them off over the years. I'm very surprised many experienced lads haven't come across plastic vas tubs. They came in the packet with the terms.

I always used a small smearing of potting compound to help the installation of the pot

We were on about the vaseline having an adverse affect on the cable.....if it's a help to fix the pot, surely it would have more effect than a start to strip.

Personally, I've never had problems with pot screwing without gel, never even crossed my mind to use it.

We were on about the vaseline having an adverse affect on the cable.....if it's a help to fix the pot, surely it would have more effect than a start to strip.

Personally, I've never had problems with pot screwing without gel, never even crossed my mind to use it.

Same here, I would be worried about contaminating the terminating.

Old spark I worked with for a while drilled his joystripper (and mine) out with imperial sized drill bits - on the 2l 1.5 and 2l2.5 holes....cant remember the size he actually used but I can say I still have it today (about 30 years later)....and it strips a treat even with "slight" kinks in the cable. Never used any lubricant for making off ends. Never let anything near my ends that would threaten to introduce moisture of any kind....tis the way I was taught lol.
Oh the joys of rolling out 100m of pyro ready to straighten up and surface clip.....fantastic jobs. As said FP 200 is the very poor relation.

Reply to Pyro in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock