Discuss Rat attack in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Called to a place today that had had some uninvited guests. The pest control guy pointed out a t&e that had been nibbled. Only outer insulation missing, about 1/2". I'm planning on just putting a choc box over it or should I be cutting it out. I'm also gonna IR test the installation, is there anything else I should be doing?
Cheers, adie

It says in your profile that you are an electrician. Are you expecting anyone on here to take this seriously? Do you mean sheath, and how do you mean "just putting a choc box over it?" God help us all.

Are you expecting an IR test to show further similar damage? You'll be sadly disappointed as it won't do that, you need to actually inspect all exposed cables to check them.

What do you mean by just putting a box over it???

My train of thought is that I could cut out the section of cable that has damaged outer sheath and through crimp and then put the repair in an enclosure, but I'd still have cable in the enclosure without the sheath only now I'd have introduced crimps too.
Honestly, yes I was hoping an IR test might point towards any obvious problems, is their no point doing it then and just settle for a visual inspection?

My train of thought is that I could cut out the section of cable that has damaged outer sheath and through crimp and then put the repair in an enclosure, but I'd still have cable in the enclosure without the sheath only now I'd have introduced crimps too.
Honestly, yes I was hoping an IR test might point towards any obvious problems, is their no point doing it then and just settle for a visual inspection?
Hold fire Dave, it's a wind up..........

Crimps on solid core cables are not recommended, and I'd go so far as to say they may even be non compliant.

Yes there is a point to doing an IR test, but it will not test the condition of the sheath. You would need to carry out all relevant tests and inspections to the type of damage/fault which has occurred.

Based on your posts so far I would strongly recommend that you employ an electrician to carry out the work as you have clearly demonstrated that you lack the knowledge or experience to understand this job.

I think putting jb in where needed ain't bad at all and testing circuit ..

How can crimps be bad for solid cable and that's what their sold for.

I think putting jb in where needed ain't bad at all and testing circuit ..

How can crimps be bad for solid cable and that's what their sold for.

the Titanic was sold for crossing the ocean. it didn't do very well.

all the right colours, but not necessarily in the right order. :sunny:

no they're not.they're designed for 3 phase, but now they need to be brown,grey and black. :33:

I LOL'd at this!

For the OP... Assuming this isn't some skilled trolling... I have a lot of experience with rats & cables. where did the rats actually get at the cables? And does the owner of the circuit want rat proofing or just a repair..?

Yes absolutely do an IR test (you should be doing one anyway when you are working on a circuit, takes 2 ticks) but this will not show up any other chewed cables. Got pics of the damage..? The extent will determine type of repair.

As for finding more damage, best get your best "eye spy" trousers out chap ;-)

Aaahh,Rattus Rattus and Rattus Norvegicus...always the second most intelligent mammal,on any farmyard...

Do NOT,waste your time crimping,chocolate boxing or testing...before you deal with the primary problem.

I have had lads drop new spools of cable off,on jobs where vermin damage has occurred,and have that damaged,the same night,BEFORE it was installed.

All your choc-box will be,is fresh bedding material or a snack.

Nobody struggles to fit a smoke alarm,because it's too smoky :tounge_smile:

Reply to Rat attack in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net