Discuss RCDs when to use in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wilson12

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Sorry I’m struggling to use the new search to find a old post ...
I need refreshing spoke to a few sparks and they say just put a rcd for everything...

But what are all the 18th edition requirements when to have an rcd?

Thanks

Sorry I’m struggling to use the new search to find a old post ...
I need refreshing spoke to a few sparks and they say just put a rcd for everything...

But what are all the 18th edition requirements when to have an rcd?

Thanks
As a Trainee Wilson, you will find by looking up the info you require, will in turn indent the info in your subconscious far quicker and longer lasting than just asking, not having a dig at you for asking, it's just something life has taught me over the years. Effort turns into better results honestly.

As a Trainee Wilson, you will find by looking up the info you require, will in turn indent the info in your subconscious far quicker and longer lasting than just asking, not having a dig at you for asking, it's just something life has taught me over the years. Effort turns into better results honestly.

Hi i don’t have the regs book and I’ve searched online and I’m not finding a straight answer that’s why I then chose here

As both posts above , but as Pete alluded to I would obtain a copy of BS 7671. This will help you to navigate the regs and lead you other sections which may also be relevant to a particular search.
Money spent on study and required reading will hold you in good stead .

The guys that say just put an RCD on every circuit have a lazy and uninformed attitude I'm afraid.

By the time you’ve covered all luminaries, sockets likely used by things outside, everything in a bathroom..... you may as well rcd every circuit.

Saying that, I was at a house this morning... 6, 7 year old newish build, so 17th Ed. Downstairs lights on RCBO, upstairs on mcb.
Can’t understand why.

By the time you’ve covered all luminaries, sockets likely used by things outside, everything in a bathroom..... you may as well rcd every circuit.

Saying that, I was at a house this morning... 6, 7 year old newish build, so 17th Ed. Downstairs lights on RCBO, upstairs on mcb.
Can’t understand why.
Alterations on down lights this year?

Alterations on down lights this year?
I don't think so. Split board... right hand side has all rcbo's… mostly downstairs.
Left hand side is only MCB's... upstairs lights and sockets.

I think the developers were still used to installing split boards with 2 x rcd mainswitches and MCB OCPD. Regulations changed and they just cobbled together what they thought they needed.

I do agree that most circuits end up RCD protected. My point was that just using it as a blanket rule is no substitute for actually knowing the requirements, especially when imparting knowledge and work ethics to a trainee.

I do agree that most circuits end up RCD protected. My point was that just using it as a blanket rule is no substitute for actually knowing the requirements, especially when imparting knowledge and work ethics to a trainee.
Might just as well use a 61008 RCD as a main switch, there’s a security blanket for you!

I've got various editions of regs back hppe; brown, red, yellow, green and of course blue (and associated OSGs), mainly because they were cheap (we're talking pence) but I'm sure they'll be handy for something

I've got various editions of regs back hppe; brown, red, yellow, green and of course blue (and associated OSGs), mainly because they were cheap (we're talking pence) but I'm sure they'll be handy for something
sure these books will be interesting reading, but not current are they?

sure these books will be interesting reading, but not current are they?
Hey Pete
I came into work in Britain when the yellow 15th Edition was out, then the blue 16th right up to date with the blue 18th edition. Used to buy the Guidance Notes as well but it became too expensive so it was Regs, OSG and GN3 thereafter

Reply to RCDs when to use in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock