Discuss Re-wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Penfield

I'm just pricing a complete re-wire. In the past I've only carried out re-wires on empty properties with this on the client is going to be living in the house so it's going to be fully furnished with family. Is there any advice you could give me as to the best way of going about the job with the minimum of disruption.

Paul

My best advice mate would be to suggest to them to move out while the jobs being done i always do it, it not only makes the job a lot easier but it is also a lot safer for them and for you.

kick em out!

from experiance if you can get rid of them for a few days you wouldnt belive how much easier it makes things. you wont have to get the power back on temporary every night and put the floor down and beds back which usually takes up to much valuable time. plus until you finish the job and tidy up it is effectivly a site and comes with all the added health and safety probs.
in short if you can agree that they stop elsewhere for a couple of days it will certainly lighten the load. theres nothing worse than people on top of u all the time when your trying to do your job.

Totally agree with the other lads, if you attempt to do it while they are living there then it will probably be listed as your worst nightmare job!

I know because I have done it myself and have sworn to never do it again!

It is completely impractical and irresponsible for you to attempt to do it while people are still living there (apart from already mention H&S aspect) and the customers should understand this if they want the work doing properly.

If they want a minimum of disruption then they need to get out of the property and clear it for you to do your work.

Again as mentioned, temporary supplies, moving furniture, carpets, dust; replacing floorboards are all extra work that you would have to do regular and at a cost!

Would definitely not recommend it from experience, I do turn these ones down if the property is not empty because the job takes longer, and inherits to many additional unneeded complications.

If you do decide to continue to do it (totally understand in today’s climate) I would make sure you have some good agreed terms (signed!) in place to cover your backside for example:
  • All areas of work must be cleared prior to starting work, including the removal of furniture and carpets as floorboards will need to be raised.
So for example if you were to tackle the work on a room by room basis, you could inform the customer of the area's you need to work in and they could have the rooms prepared pre-hand as agreed in the terms.

If you find that you are doing any additional work i.e. moving furniture yourself then charge them for it at your sparky rate!

Hope this helps!

Warren

I'm just pricing a complete re-wire. In the past I've only carried out re-wires on empty properties with this on the client is going to be living in the house so it's going to be fully furnished with family. Is there any advice you could give me as to the best way of going about the job with the minimum of disruption.

Paul
I've done them before and are an absolute nightmare for all involved-you and the family.You are gonna take twice as long,and the mess and safety aspect is a real risk.You could tell them that the 500 quid you could knock off the price would get then a nice holiday for a week.Also try to inform them about the serious probibilaty that lifting carpets cannot be done without damage(eg rubber backed).Wooden floors also a complete balls.Dust,tracking walls,floorboards up,electric off,small kids running about. DON'T DO IT is the best advice I can think of

Im currently on council rewires for the next year or 2, theres 4000 to do. All of these are occupied and i can assure you now, it is awful.

Thanks everyone, I've called the builder and he is going to try and arrange for the property to be vacant, maybe looking to do the job at easter. If the price is ok :eek:

Thanks again,

Paul

Im currently on council rewires for the next year or 2, theres 4000 to do. All of these are occupied and i can assure you now, it is awful.

that really is awful mate, i feel for you, but hey at least its work

Thanks everyone, I've called the builder and he is going to try and arrange for the property to be vacant, maybe looking to do the job at easter. If the price is ok :eek:

Thanks again,

Paul

good move.you might also thinking about warning the family that it might be a good idea to start emptying their freezer as you mightn't be able to guarantee power for a few days.

Reply to Re-wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock