Discuss Replacing NeoStat with Nest in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just looking for some advice and info about how to replace our thermostats with Nest ones.

My current setup is (images attached):
  • 5 NeoStat v2 for 5 separate rooms in a small flat
  • Underfloor heating from a district system
  • Heatmiser UH8-N

I'm not looking to do this work myself but just get an idea of what in the current setup needs changing and how big a job it might be.

Thanks

Attachments

• Replacing NeoStat with Nest IMG_0368 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0368.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Replacing NeoStat with Nest IMG_5283 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_5283.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Replacing NeoStat with Nest IMG_6108 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6108.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 26
OK, so does that mean the heatlinks will replace the Heatmiser UH8-N?
That is a wiring centre, I would contact Nest to see what they would recommend. Unless one of the Nest Pros is on here.

The heatlink’s replace the UH8, so you will have one for each of the zones, make sure the zone valves are 240v as some versions of the heatmiser kit use low voltage valve actuators.

I would suspect you need a wiring centre to sort out how each heat link turns on the manifold pump and fires the boiler.

The Nest solution for zoned is in my opinion a bit of a work around to get past the limitations of what is essentially a single zone set up - bear in mind that Nest’s main market is the US where having even basic heating controls isn’t the norm and zoned heating is even less common.

Interested to know what it is about heatmiser setup you don’t like as I would install Heatmiser over Nest in this application every time.

paul

I find the thermostats to be a bit lacking in a few respects:

• Controls are almost impossible to use in the dark
  • Have to get up close to see the current reading
  • Viewing angle of the screen is really poor and makes it difficult to read

Although I dislike these things, it probably isn't worth the high cost of replacing them all.

It seems to me that the difference between Heatmiser and Nest is a bit like an old Nokia and an iPhone, including the cost.

Nokia- Iphone lmao! I don’t think you have a clue what you’re on about. heatmiser is much better stuff than the nest. Nest works ok on single zone heating imo, heatmiser is quality.
Your opinions on what you dislike about the heatmiser is laugh able..
1- use the app & no it isn’t
2-use the app & no it isnt
3- use the app.! lol what flat on a wall at eye level??

Nokia- Iphone lmao! I don’t think you have a clue what you’re on about. heatmiser is much better stuff than the nest. Nest works ok on single zone heating imo, heatmiser is quality.
Your opinions on what you dislike about the heatmiser is laugh able..
1- use the app & no it isn’t
2-use the app & no it isnt
3- use the app.! lol what flat on a wall at eye level??

If the solution is to only use the app then there isn't much point having any thermostats on the walls (which is how almost everyone, guests especially, use the heating).

I'm not an electrician and haven't used Heatmiser before, so you are for sure more knowledgeable than me on the subject. I'm just giving you my honest feedback on living with them for 2 months now.

Maybe Nest's zoning isn't ideal, but the difference in quality between the thermostats are night and day.

Attachments

• Replacing NeoStat with Nest iphone - EletriciansForums.net
    iphone.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4
  • Replacing NeoStat with Nest nokia - EletriciansForums.net
    nokia.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 3
As bigspark17 says, heatmiser will do everything that nest can do and lots more.

However, if your not using the neohub and phone app then you are missing out on 90% of the functionality.

Check out the tutorial videos on Google.

As bigspark17 says, heatmiser will do everything that nest can do and lots more.

However, if your not using the neohub and phone app then you are missing out on 90% of the functionality.

Check out the tutorial videos on Google.

I did end up buying the Neohub and it certainly makes interacting with the system a lot more user friendly.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!

Reply to Replacing NeoStat with Nest in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock