Discuss Residual Current in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

ElectricMick

Hi all, working on a 500W halogen today (just went to change bulb for inept owner) and found that there was 3V on the terminals when disconnected via the MCB. Its a TNC-S with a ZE of 0.15 and a ZS of 0.96 on that circuit. Its controlled by an IP66 switch with no earth facility. Any idea's why that 3V is still sat their with it all turned off?

Inductance from a live cable, running close and parallel for considerable length buried in wall somewhere?

Similar thing with me today, TT system, 65V on cpc. Ze 6.4 ohms. But zero volts on met inside consumer unit. Cpc's were not connected at every terminal.

Its all surface mounted and the cables that run alongside (2) are on the same circuit, which was off at the MCB. I must admit its had me baffled. I won't lose any sleep over it, 3v isn't much, I would just be facinated to know where it comes from as the only cables in the location are on the same circuit, which is switched off!!! Any more thoughts?

Its all surface mounted and the cables that run alongside (2) are on the same circuit, which was off at the MCB. I must admit its had me baffled. I won't lose any sleep over it, 3v isn't much, I would just be facinated to know where it comes from as the only cables in the location are on the same circuit, which is switched off!!! Any more thoughts?

As said previousl you can get an induced voltage in the cable if it run next to another cable, even if it is connected to another MCB

I see where your coming from now - it was probably off the other lighting circuit. They all run through some trunking before branching off in their various directions. Now it makes sense. Cheers.

dragging some dim and distant memory up, would it not be eddy currants from other circuits causing the problem.

Could be any or all of above I suppose - but with 3V I'm not going to dwell on it too much. Re tested today with CU all off and no current was present at the halogen. Its sneaking through from somewhere when the whole installation is energised but its not doing any harm so will leave it. I could get the customer to pay me an arm and a leg to chase and rectify but I know they won't pay for it. Thanks all for your thoughts.

Reply to Residual Current in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock