Discuss Right guys in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

wrighty

-
Arms
Reaction score
ive been made redundant today, for the 2nd time in 2.5 years, i dont have my 17th edition or my 2391. Im looking into options and realise these 2 qualifications are going to be essential for me to either obtain a new job or go flying solo n take on the world ha. Im time served came out of my time in november 2009 so im wondering where to start with these courses. im abit reluctant to fork out for the 2391 straight away just with the pass rate etc n my own confidence. although the 17th i know you used to be able to do exam only dont think thats possible any more, So for those of you in the know where do i start with the 17th. what course do i need to sit or am i able to sit? im looking for the cheapest shortest route but abit unsure with this?

Any of your local colleges will put you right with 17th mate but my local one needed me to have it before they let me on to 2391

Dont know, if you got 16th I think its a one day update. You dont need 2391 to go solo.

college cost for 17th is around £240. can be done evenings for 12 weeks. that would be you 1st step.then, if you are going self employed you can join one of the scams.

if your 16th was before 2001, the update is a no go. you have to do the full 2382. and i have heard, may not be true, that now thye 17th amendment ( BGB) has come in, the update is dead anyway

Last edited:
Depends on the college too. I went with a local training provider who were happy to let me sit the exam only with no 16th qualification. I got my head in the book and passed no probs.

if your 16th was before 2001, the update is a no go. you have to do the full 2382. and i have heard, may not be true, that now thye 17th amendment ( BGB) has come in, the update is dead anyway

Heard the same, the update being dead. Even if not may be hard to get a course for it now, most will have either updated already or have zero intention of ever doing it.

LOL well yeah, but it was a nice surprise to be allowed to take the exam with no course attatched especially having no 16th. The local colleges wanted the full force of my wallet to descend upon their coffers to even entertain me.

Sorry to hear that you have been made redundant again.

I think you will have to get 17th edition qualified.

How much experience do you have in inspection and testing?
Do you have any experience testing?

yeh i have testing experience, did a bit of inspect and test on schools etc at my last place but not done any for a while, most recent company had a dedicate tester they sent around.

as previously said, how do you go about with your installs n signing off etc without 2391? ive looked into this before last time i was out of work etc but its all abit of a grey area to me

anyone can get their installs signed of by building control but you will have to notify them before you start work and this is expensive, anywhere between £120-£220, you can sign off your own work if you are registered with a scheme, you only need to be 17th edition to register ( and of course pay your yearly fee)

mate if youve genuinely been made redundant go to your local job center and they will put you on courses cant remember the formal name for the situation/reasoning but i know you will definately be able to get your 2391 and 17th ed for free go down and speak to them do it mate

mate if youve genuinely been made redundant go to your local job center and they will put you on courses cant remember the formal name for the situation/reasoning but i know you will definately be able to get your 2391 and 17th ed for free go down and speak to them do it mate

Yeah, a lad I know locally was made redundant a year after finishing his apprenticeship. He got 2391, 2392, 2377 and a fire alarm course out of them but he was well qualified and experienced before so that may have made a difference. Worth checking out though

college cost for 17th is around £240. can be done evenings for 12 weeks. that would be you 1st step.then, if you are going self employed you can join one of the scams.

If you know how to read the book then you don't need the course. exam fee is all it will cost. I think it's around £35 but you also need the green book.

Guys at my college are doing it.

yeh i have testing experience, did a bit of inspect and test on schools etc at my last place but not done any for a while, most recent company had a dedicate tester they sent around.

as previously said, how do you go about with your installs n signing off etc without 2391? ive looked into this before last time i was out of work etc but its all abit of a grey area to me

If you know how to test, and interpret the information. Go and get your 17th and if you intend going self employed, goto the business section. There is a thread about alone.
Napit will accept you without your 2391 so long as you know how to test. Experience is king when it come to testing. Even the exam is written in a way to weight towards experience.

Some has said here goto the job centre and sign up for free 17th and 2391 courses.
Getting the piece of paper is important

Please don't count on the job centre to pay for anything !!! but by all means you can ask. I came off JSA in december afer 18 months of being refused any funding for any courses of any type. They said they would pay if I could prove I would be given a specific job as a result of passing any course. I paid for it myself in the end.
Despite me pointing out that every job that came up required me to have the 17th , they woud not pay for it for me unless I secured a firm job offer first. This is partly the reason I was on the system for so long.

I sincerely hope you get treated better than me if you rely on them for help.

Last edited:
sorry to hear about the hassle andy, others might be luckier ive heard of a few lads managing to get free courses within the last year or so worth asking i suppose

Reply to Right guys in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock